how do i tell my mom?

ok. im 17 & i will be 18 in 8 days. i have a boyfriend that i have been with for 2 years on and off.(more on than off) i love him with all my heart and soul, and yes we are sexually active. i want to tell my mom but i dont want her to put a stop to us being together. since i still live under her roof i think she has the right to do that. i dont want to risk not being able to see him until i move out. which will be awhile because i am still in school. i dont want to lose my moms respect but i need to tell her. i just feel like it would be the right thing to do. please answer asap. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think that honesty is the best policy. Keep in mind that more then likely your mother just wants to look out for your best interest...you are her daughter, after all. She will probably appreciate the fact that, no matter what, you feel that you can be honest with her about your life. More then anything, she wants the best for you and for you to be okay. Be truthful with her, and trust that she isn't just going to fly off the wall. Best of luck.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 9:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If you want to be treated like an adult then you must act like one. Like the above poster said, honesty if the best policy. Be calm and just tell her how you feel. Give her the basic information, give her time to process and ask questions then tell her your plans to remain in her home until you can afford to leave or go off to college or move in with him or whatever.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My daughter told me when she started to have sex at 17 and I was not happy about it but I did not get mad at her. She is going to do it weather I approve or not so why get mad. I was just glad that she came to me and told me. I asked if she was using protection and she said yes and that was all that was said. I hope you have a mom that will understand and that you can open up to.

dia4

Answer by dia4 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Perhaps your mom already knows that you are probably sexually active with your bf. I had the talk with my daughter when she started going out with her boyfriend. She has now been seeing him for 2 yrs. She also is 17 and will be 18 in Jan. Her bf just grad this yr and is 18. I took her to the Doctor's and she is on the pill and they use condoms. I have always been very open with my dd and I do not think any less of her because of her choices. I think your mom will appreciate your openess and honesty. Good Luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You know your Mom might already know.Its better to be open and honest and get it off your chest..We Moms aren't so bad. we were teenagers too, and we went thru the things that teens are going thru now.do yourself a favor tho, tell her on a good day, if that makes sense. I have a 19 year old, and not only am I the mom, we are also friends, and that sure can happen. So good luck to you sweety,and just be honest with Mom. She might suprise you.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Don't tell her(your mom),, tell your 18....Then she legally wont be able to stop you from seeing him...Now kicking you out of the house or something like that is a different subject all together

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• its best for her to know i told my mom when i was 15 and got on the pill just in case you get pregnant the sooner the better
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I first had sex when I was 15, and it took me about a year to tell my mom. You'll be surprised how much it can enhance your relationship and bring you closer once you let her know. If you're beign sexually active, it's important to see a gynocologist and get on birth control, even if you're using a condom. Your mom will understand...just keep in mind, she was a teen once, too, and I'm sure she remembers the hormones...
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Since you are 8 days from being 18 I would be shocked if she actually tried to stop you, and she probably already suspects or knows. Be honest. If you want to be tried like an adult- act like one. I hope you and the BF are already using protection, if not now is the time to start!
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 2:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• my dad found out that i had sex when i was 14 and it made our relationship 10x better, i deff thin you should tell her
    Anonymous