What is an appropriate amount to pay for a chore completed?

I'm trying to come up with a plan that not only teaches responsibility for your surroundings but finanacial responsibility too. I am wondering what is an appropriate amount to give per chore? The child is 12.

Some1Somewhere

Asked by Some1Somewhere at 6:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on the chore and how long it takes to finish
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't pay for completed chores. It takes work to make a household run and children are members of the household and should function as part of the team.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• At our house there are certain chores they do because they are members of the household, but if they're to young to have a job, they can do other chores to earn extra money. I think it helps kids to learn to manage money when they have to earn it.

I agree with soccerfanatic14, it depends on the chore......and the difficulty. If they scrub a shower, I'm going to pay more than if they set the table........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• $0. a chore shouldn't be payed for IMO...it should just get done. I know when i was a kid, my dad had fake money. he gave us a certain amount a week in fake money, we had to pay for certain things. like TV, there was a certain amount we were to pay per hour, (with the exception of family movie time). i honestly can't remember other things we had to pay for...and whatever we had left over at the end of the week, he'd match it. there was a time he was financially strapped so instead of matching it, he'd match half of what we had.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My DS has chores that he is expected to complete either everyday or week depending on what it is. To earn extra money we have a
    "HELP WANTED" board where I list several jobs around the house or yard that need to be done and how much I will pay, when it is completed to my satisfaction. Then he can decide how much work and how many jobs he wants to do if he's looking to buy something. My sister and mother also have boards. My DS and nieces can do work at any house they want to. You would not believe how much gets done and there are no complaints, because they get to choose
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 7:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My children are expected to participate in household chores. They're not paid.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My brother just started doing dishes a few weeks ago, he will be 12 in december. We do not pay him. I agree with aliceinalgonac. But we do get him things when he asks if we have the extra money, like he asked for Halo Reach and my hubby went and got it for him like 2 days later.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 7:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My girls are required to help around the house without being paid. However, I sometimes have bigger "extra" jobs that I will offer them as a chance to earn money. I pay by the job, not by the hour - and I just decide how much the job is worth. Usually between $1 and $3.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• ours depended on the job done.

It was $10 a week for basic chores (our laundry, dishes every other day, garbage, mow lawn etc).

For chores like cleaning out the garage earned us $50 (it required a lot of work to do because it's stocked iwth parts for their business).
    Doing parts that week earned us an extra $15 if we did them all.
    Clean the whole house earned us an extra $20 that week, etc.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Nothing. I believe doing your chores is one important responsbility kids have. Its not about being paid. I don't pay my daughter to be a part of the family.
    SuperMomtoChloe

Answer by SuperMomtoChloe at 8:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010