Why can't people spell a name right??

I have had this problem all my oldest two kids lives. I spell it right when I sign them up for school and sports, etc, but they always misspell it. They have trophies with their name misspelled, my oldest daughter got invited to the NATIONAL BETA club and even they misspelled it. She had to do a doughnut fund raiser and her name was misspelled, I wrote on there for her to PLEASE spell her name right and wrote it correctly for her. It's like they look at it and say "this isn't spelled right, let me fix it"...Drives me nuts.

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in

• This happens all the time and it will never change. People don't pay attention to what they are reading and writing.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• When you change the spelling on a word/name. that is what happens.

Answer by louise2 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh..well, it hasn't been misspelled on any major stuff yet...I would pitch a fit over that.

@Louise: My son's name is a REAL name and I use one of the oldest most traditional spellings. It still gets screwed up. My name is Leslie and people won't spell it right either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would make them fix it. Each and every time. Trophies too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What is their names?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• People always write Branden instead of Braden for my son...it happens. I just ignore it now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I just think that like my oldest daughter name is Kayleigh, there are so many different variations of spelling her name. Teachers, sports coaches have so many kids going through their lives. Many times they have same name different spellings so it is hard to keep track. It is really not a big deal. I think that it is something that gets on your nerves or not. It is not something that bothers me at all. I just figure I will correct it when I can and ignore it other times.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• People misspell my name all the time, even when I clearly spell it out for them.... It irritates the hell out of me. Yes, I know I have an unusual name, but when I e-mail you, IT'S RIGHT THERE NOT ONLY AS PART OF MY E-MAIL ADDRESS, BUT ALSO MY SIGNATURE! Ugh...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• @Anouck: I love your name. LOL Like in the movie "Chocolat".
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh I didn't realize I that we were talking about last names. We have the same issues with everything our last name is Hoppman and everyone wants to turn it into Hoffman or Hotman. Even my AAA had it spelled wrong on record so when I was in an emergency needing road side help they could not find me in their system. I was ticked off to say the least. If it is not something super important like that though I do not let it get to me. They can get the easiest name wrong my maiden name was James and everyone was trying to turn that into Janes or Jones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010