Buttermilke need help FAST!!

i forgot i had bought buttermilk i want to make cornbread and the buttermilk is expired by 2 weeks it has never been open and was in the back of my fridgerator frozen not sure why my fridge froze it but is it still good and how can i thaw it quick?

aggheff08

Asked by aggheff08 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can make your own Buttermilk -

About 1 cup of milk and a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Mix them together and let it sit for a few minutes. Make as much as you need for your recipe.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 7:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Set it in a pan of hot tap water, and run hot tap water over it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• is it still ok to cook with without my family getting sick?
    aggheff08

Comment by aggheff08 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. Buttermilk smells spoiled to me new, I would not use expired buttermilk or any milk. Can you imagine what would happen if you were sick behind it? When in doubt ,I throw it out.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If it was frozen, there is a good chance it's still OK. I might use it if it looked & smelled OK after thawed. I would try the microwave & do it in intervals.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Just a tip though, I don't use buttermilk but once in a great while, so I always substitute. Put one tablespoon of vinegar in a one cup measure, and fill the rest with regular milk. let it sit for a couple of minutes. It'll smell a little sour, that's normal. I use this substitute EVERY time I need buttermilk, and it has NEVER steered me wrong. Hope it helps!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010