Why is my 18 month old so upset at his babysitters and what can I do to make him happy to be there???

My husband and I both work full time. I typically work 3-4 days during the week and 1 or 2 days on the weekends. My husband has a normal 5 day work week. Our 18 month old is just starting out at a babysitters (has been there for a couple months now), before that I was a SAHM. His babysitter is wonderful and we couldn't be happier with her and her family. She gives written reports everyday, feeds him great meals and does fun interactive things with the kids. Everytime he goes, he is upset. He is typically a very happy kid at home, but when I leave or my husband leave him with the sitter, he is just sad all day. He's fussy, whiny or quiet until we get him later in the afternoon. I love my job and my husband is military so can't quit. We need help with advice on how to help him start enjoying his daycare. He already brings a blanket and his own toy too.

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep talking to him about having to go to daycare and create a reward system for him when he has a good day.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• wow, a couple of months and he's still whiny all day? i'd start wondering if something was going on i wasn't aware of. working with kids, normally after a couple of weeks they're used to the person, and don't mind being dropped off. but all kids are different, maybe he's just WAY attached to you and really misses you. are you sure he's whiny all day? does the babysitter tell you this? some kids freak when dropped off, 2 minutes after the parents are gone they're perfectly fine, then when they see the parent they start crying right away, giving the parent the impression they've been crying all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No I am not concerned about the girl watching him. She is a wonderful person, very opening to her home and has a wonderful house where the other kids are very happy all the time. He is whiny all day. She has a report sheet each day he is there and we also talk when I pick him up. I know it is him and I think he is just very attached and thinks that if he acts upset, I'll come to the rescue, but I won't. He has to get used to this, just didn't know if there was some other suggestions on how I can help him get over this issue!
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know that the is an ajustment period, but if he has been there for 2 months and is acting the way you say he is, I would be worried. My little had a nanny when she was a year old whom she HATED - bought a nanny cam and it turnes out that the nanny was mean. Not abusive or anything, just not very loving. I fired the nanny on the spot. She has a new nanny (she's been with us for a year now) and my little girl loves her. (She 21 mos old now.)
    Jaclyn H.

Answer by Jaclyn H. at 8:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010