• In the Spotlight:

how do I start solidS???

my dd is 4 1/2 months old and is more than ready to start solids. she is showing all the signs of readiness. She is EBF on weekends and on days i'm off. She takes BM or a little formula out of a bottle or cup while i'm at work. I plan on starting with rice cereal. How much should I let her eat and how many times a day should I offer cereal?

Mommyx308

Asked by Mommyx308 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Milk should be the main source until 12 months, but cereal can be added now. (This is what I was told by my pediatrician). I mixed the cereal pretty wet with the same milk that she has in the bottle. At six months I started solid baby food, but I did vegetables first!! This ensures healthier eating habits. If you give fruits first, then the liklihood of her eating veggies is just not good. They say to introduce new foods one at a time...so do peas for a week, then potatoes for a week, green beans for a week, you get it. I think I did veggies for 2 months before she had fruit. When I did introduce fruits I would mix them right in the cereal. :) My daughter is 2 1/2 now and she eats zucchini, asparagus, corn, green beans, artichokes and salad!!!!! :) I am really glad that I followed my ped's advice. :) Good Luck!!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 2:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• You start with just one meal a day - whichever is easiest for you. Over the coming 8 months, you work up to 3 small meals and 2 little snacks each day.

Just mix up a little bit - no more than a 1/4 cup. Let her eat as much as she wants. If she eats it all and wants more, make more. Somedays she'll eat a lot, others next to nothing.

The advice to do veggies before fruits is right on. Once they taste the sweeter fruits, many don't want to try the veggies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2008