Teachers

Does a teaching union make a teacher lazier? Heard about teacher unions on NBC news and was wondering what people think of them. I think the unions are a joke

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not agree with any unions
    I am a teacher
    Unions served their purpose before the time of labor laws and OSHA. Workers no longer need the unions to protect their rights.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• IMO~ Unions encourage sub par performance...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think so. I am not a member of a union. I have to worry about making sure I perform my job so I can keep my job. I have tenure. I have been teaching 20 years, and I still have to be on my toes so that every year my teacher evaluation instrument is more than proficient. I live in a "right to work" state. If I want my job, I have to do my job well. There is no "room for teachers who aren't allowed in the classroom" yet they are earning a full salary because they can't be fired. It cost the systems millions of dollars that should be spent on students and teachers who are doing their jobs/
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• jesse, I am just curious about tenure...does that vary from state to state? The rumors I have heard are basically that Tenure is even more secure than union, making those who are tenured even more "comfy to slack" (not that I agree as I don't know much about it).

I do think that Unions served a purpose at one time, now they are just a greedy middle man and from what I understand, will exploit non-union members during strikes and such...
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 8:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, tenure isn't more secure than unions. It just secures your place if there is firings. My district lost 120 teachers last year. It was only my second year in the district, but my tenure went with me. They let the retirees take most of the slots, but teachers without tenure was the group they fired from. We have no negotiated deals, benefits, or pay. A tenured teacher can be fired, but the principal has to follow a very specified prodical set. I'm not sure how tenure works in other states. I'm in NC. I have to meet the teacher eval. instrument standards every year. It takes 3-5 years to get tenure in NC depending on your certificate/lic.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do not agree with any unions
    I am a teacher

***

^^^ THIS!! And I am also a teacher. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree with all previous posters!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks to our teachers union we lost 12 days from the school year and my boys; 5th grader 41 kids in his class and the 4th grader 39 kids in his class. They have becoming self serving and our kids are suffering because of it.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do not agree with unions. I teach high school but a friend of mine is student teaching right now at a local grade school. The teacher she is student teaching with is only there 2 more years to retire. She has checked out in regards to teaching anymore. Really sad....
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Last year my daughters 2nd grade teacher retired. My daughter had many days of substitutes because the teacher had "out processing" pre-retirement union meetings to attend. So much so, it disrupted student learning. New sub each day can impact learning. Parents complained to the school board, it became somewhat of a drama-fest (school board vs union vs parents) ... Needless to say she spent the rest of the year resentful towards the parents.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2010