she's so picky she's going to starve!

my 9 mo old eats rice cereal and fruit in the morning, veggies and a bottle in the afternoon, and 3 fruits, 2 veggies for dinner. Stage 2. So we decided since she's chowing town on the fruits and veggies we should up her to stage 3. She HATES everything we've gotten for her so far. Lasagna, Spaghetti, Chicken with noodles.mixed veggies with cheese,just to name a few. She needs bigger meals!We even have to camoflauge the veggies to get her to eat them by doing half veggie, half fruit. She spits it gags on it...won't eat it. We've tried harsh methods like offering her a bite, and if she starts crying, just wait till she stops, and give her the same bite... she will go hungry. We sat there for 6 hours one day. She just cried. We've tried making it fun, we've tried cool spoons, warming the food, cooling the food... nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? My boys weren't nearly so picky!!!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 7:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Perhaps she doesn't like the chunkiness of the stage 3 foods. If she is eating the stage 2 foods just fine than stick with that. If you haven't I would give her finger things, like the gerber puffs or cheerios to get her used to something with solidness to it and then try either stage 3 or your food cut up small after a little while.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well I can't say I blame her. Baby food is nasty. Instead of wasting your money on that stuff, try putting YOUR food in a blender or food processor and giving it to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She doesn't NEED solids right now, she needs your milk or formula. Making solids a battle is the WRONG way to approach this. Just back off on the solids. After a while, start offering table foods. Just put them on her tray and let her eat what she will. Don't stress if she doesn't eat much, it's not a big deal. I certainly hope your food doesn't have a ton of sodium, cause that's not good for you or your boys, either! As long as everything is homemade and you are controlling the amount of salt you add (or pulling out her food before adding salt) it's fine.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• don't our foods have tons more sodium than the baby needs? Is there a safe way to do that without loading her up with junk?
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She doesn't even have to eat food now. Just give her formula/breastmilk. Geeze, it should be her MAIN source of nutrition and calories until after a year. Stop giving her that nasty jar junk. Give her some of whatever you eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Give her Avocado, baked sweet potato, banana...fresh fruits and veggies.
    BradenIsMySon

• She will not starve. They can live over a year on BM or formula alone. She knows when shes hungry and forcing or constant coaxing her to eat can cause lifetime eating problems. If she doesnt want it she doesnt want it. Also, try and go with fork mashed adult foods. My son was off baby food at 7 months and onto soft table foods. Next kiddo im skipping jar foods and feeding fork mashed at 6 months! (rather than baby food at 4 like they had me do with my son).
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 8:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She won't starve if she's getting the right amount of breast milk or formula. Like others here have said, it's the main source of nutrition until 12 months. A lot of babies don't like the stage 3 foods. They're pretty tasteless. And the texture....ew. Steam some fresh veggies, and cut them up into bite size pieces, or fork mash them. Same with some fruits, though banana and avocado don't need to be cooked before dicing or mashing. If you want to do meat, take some ground beef, break it up and spread it on a cookie sheet or something, and bake until cooked. (never tried that one myself, but it was something one of my LLL leaders had mentioned for introducing meats)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Actually, home made table food is MUCH better.No rice cereal, no jars. She can eat what you eat for the most part. Remember that her LIQUID diet is more important still. Solids are a minor factor till the first birthday. If she's not getting breastmilk or formula before each solids session,. she could indeed get shortchanged even if she ate every bite of solids you put before her.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She doesn't need any of that. No need to do anything harsh, she certainly isn't old enough to understand "sit here until you finish your dinner or else". She would be just fine with zero solids the whole first year. As long as she gets enough breastmilk or formula, don't worry about her starving.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2010