Aggervating germaphobic moms

Does anyone on here find the breed of germaphobic moms as annoying as I do? One of my husband's sisters is like this, and it's just rediculous. When her child was a baby you HAD to wash & sanitize your hands before even thinking about touching him. She doesn't let him play on the playground without sanitizing him constantly. My inlaws have two dogs (clean indoor dogs) and the boy (who's 2 now) isn't allowed to be barefoot inside the home because of them.

I want to just ask her "How the hell did we come this far in history without hand sanitizer and a readily available supply of clean water? I hope you plan on him getting sick A LOT when he goes to school because his immune system is pretty much non-existant."

I read a study that said children raised on farms have the highest immune systems and are least likely to get sick because of the exposure to outdoors and animals.

Evansmommy91

Asked by Evansmommy91 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• One of my friends is like that. Of course, her son is sick ALL the time.... I've never sanitized anything around my son, he walks around barefoot all the time (and I have 7 cats and 2 dogs, all indoors), and he NEVER gets sick. I agree with you, if they're never exposed to germs, how are they going to build up any kind of resistance?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i totally agree!! the only time we sanitze is if dh or i are sick.
    MommyRat

Answer by MommyRat at 7:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i think it's kind of funny. my sister is kind of like that. her dd started school this year and is working on getting over her second cold. my sis just doesnt get why she is getting sick!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh yeah and last month she was saying she took him to the grocery store and she forgot the cart cover thing (wrap it around where the child sits and it cushions and I guess protects them from germs) that she ALWAYS has used and what do you know? The very next day he got sick! From all those dirty people that push shopping carts around the grocery store!
    Lol, give me a break.
    Evansmommy91

Comment by Evansmommy91 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my mom's first son was kept out of dirt, bath every day, no germs allowed around him. he had some sort of infection that made my mom take him to the dr..... the dr told her, "let him play in the dirt. he's too clean." you can't have immunity unless you're exposed to it in some way... just like the flu shot.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have a friend who ALWAYS made us sanitizw when holding her baby..it was absurd! I am not a freak about germs in the least but it is said one of the germiest nastiest places is a shopping cart. They said of all the places tested a shopping cart had the most fecal matter on it...uug!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i have read that same report about farm kids being healthier too. we do not use hand sanitizer at all. the kids use it at school, and i hate it, the only alternative is antibacterial soap.
    the problems that come from this mentality are many and severe.
    my sil was like that with her baby, and now her, her dh and her son have NO relationship with mil and sil, because they called her out on the craziness of it.
    antibiotic resistant bacterias are pretty serious now, like MRSA.
    like you and another poster said, it doesn't seem to lead to better health at all.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was the mom insisting on people washing their hands before touching my premature baby. In some cases, it makes sense that this is required. I'm not a germaphobe and both of my kids are healthy. There's a line between it being excessive, and being best for the child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have never understood them. If your kids don't get exposed to the germs, how are they supposed to build up an immunity to them? I dealt with them 20 YEARS ago when my son was a baby!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i let all the little kids at the bus stop hold and touch my baby. they have been touching her since she was 1 week old. i just ask that they don't touch her eyes.
    i hate those shopping cart covers too.
    germs are funny. i saw a show that tested a woman's carpet who shampooed monthly, another that might shampoo yearly, and then they tested the streets of downtown london...the streets were cleaner.
    i heard the kitchen sink was worse than the toilet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010