seat belts...why can't we chose?

i am a adult i chose not to drink, due drugs, i am legally a adult so why can't i make my own choices when it comes to myself if i want to wear my seatbelt or not?
i can understand we should wear one..but it should be my choice..not the state or other people.
i do agree children under 21 should have a law where they have to be buckled but i should be able to make my own choice.

and why is ok for all these children riding on a school bus to not have any seatbelts on them? now that is crazy!!!!!!

justgg

Asked by justgg at 10:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Travel

• While I totally agree with your point, I also see the other side. One of the benefits of forcing people to wear seatbelts is less injury and fatal accidents. Think about how traffic gets HORRIBLE with just minor fender benders and it's even worse when there is a fatality or an injury. I hate being told what to do but at the same time realize that it's for my own good.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Seat belts CAUSE injurys and death as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this.... for a fact..

and yes that is mad that KIDS ... children! little children on a hudge buss full of MORE LITTLE children are unprotected!! WHY!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You can choose. You just have to pay the fine if you get caught. And seatbelts on buses are actually a bad thing. The can entrap the children after a wreck and they can hinder emergency workers getting them out in time. People die with and without seatbelts everyday. No wreck is ever the same and sometimes seatbelts cause fatalities, but the majority of times they save lives.
    Anonymous

• It's all about lobbyists and who has the legislators ear. You don't have to where a helmet anymore if you ride a motorcycle in Pa. They don't have seatbelts either.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I thought this to. But then I began thinking what if I am driving and end up in an accident. Because I did not wear my seat belt ended up being thrown the window. What good am I to my children at that point. Also it sets a good example for your children. If you don't wear yours but tell them to wear theirs you are being a hypocrite. Yes, you could die with a seat belt on, but the likely hood is less then you not wearing it.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 7:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• anon is right... seatbelts on buses are a bad thing. why wouldn't you want to wear a seatbelt? just curious...
    renee658

Answer by renee658 at 7:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't think she doesn't want to wear a seat belt, renee. I believe she is questioning why is it a law for us to have to wear seatbelts. And I have asked this question a lot when that law first came out. I realize it is for my safety but it really should be my choice if I choose to wear one or not. I do agree that children should have to wear one obligatorily until they are 18...
    I do wear my seat belt all the time and I wore it before it became mandatory legally for me to do so..just don't appreciate someone telling me I have to or I will be fined.
    miaj34

Answer by miaj34 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I dont think it should be a law either. Whatever happened to free will!? I also hate the fact that car companies put lights and dingers in cars to remind you. Sorry, I was getting the mail, leave me alone! My dad is a retired Fire Chief/EMT and he has personally seen people that only survived because they DID NOT have their seat belt on. 99% it keeps you safe and will save your life, but theres always that extra variable that could cause the seat belt to be the reason you dont survive.

tgiamt

Answer by tgiamt at 8:17 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• So do you think you should also be able to choose how fast you drive...since it's your car? The rules are there for safety, not inconvinience.

I think kids on school buses SHOULD be wearing seatbelts...no doubt about that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• tgiamt: I would much rather take the 99% chance than the 1% chance of surviving, wouldn't you???
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2008