Does anybody know what the daily limit of ibuprofen is?

My husband is a freakin retard. He gets migrains really bad and we are out of his usual excedren so when I talked to him on the phone (I was at the laundromat) I told him where my bottle of 800 milligram ibuprofen is so he could take some. He decides to take 4 of them. An hour later that hasn't helped so he takes 8 more. When I get home he is puking and I notice the bottle is way way lower than it should be so I asked him how many he took and he tells me. I panicked and called his dad and his dad calls poison control (which duh I should have done to begin with). They told him he needs to have a charcoal treatment of some kind and call ahead top the ER. So now he is on his way to the ER but he is mad as all hell at me. He thinks he is perfectly fine, now that his migraine is gone. Dummy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• You shouldnt take more then 3200 mg a day
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ibuprofen can be taken every 6 hours. the prescription dose is 800 mg. any more than that is going to work less well than just 200 or 400 mg even because that must pass through the liver and be processed, the liver cannot handle it - that's why the dumbass is puking. excedrin contains acetaminophen and it is even easier to mess up your liver taking too much of that. when i have a migraine ibuprofen doesn't do much... i used to get migraines more than once a week when drinking mixes with aspartame. i quit using those, the migraines stopped. for my daughter it was caffeine and nitrates. if your husband wants to stop popping pills all the time he might want to check into prevention and it is possible it can be solved with minor lifestyle adjustments...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You should not take more then 4 800mg pills a day.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's 1800-2400 mg. That's why motrin 800 is three times a day. His stomach will take a beating for that. Luckily it's not his liver from acetaminophen toxicity.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• bumpHere's a bump for ya!!!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 8:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Figaro is right that IBuprofen does not do much for headakes or migranes...Its the wrong type of medication.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• And actually according to Dr Oz, Ibuprofen IS the thing to take instead of acetaminophen for headaches or migraines. It is much safer according to him. (doesn't do the liver damage) Of course you aren't supposed to take such a high dose as OP's DH.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010