abstinence before marriage

is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that those that wear to abstain until marriage get married considerably younger?
A uncle of mine got married at just 16 for that reason.
didn't last long.................

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Well I didn't have sex with my STBX before we married and we should have. It was terrible.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Where the hell did your uncle live to where he could get married at 16? And I dont think that they get married younger just so they can have sex.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• that's not true. i abstained from sex before marriage and i was 34. i don't see my marriage never ending cause it's the level of commitment and love i have for him. i think your generalizing in your question. i know lots of marriages that are still strong and even some that have ended til death do them part who have only been with one person, their spouse. i agree with lifo. i think sometimes it works better for you when you abstain from sex. this way your not spread to thin with so many partners and your bond is so much stronger then others who shop around for men or women, test driving how good the sex is before marriage. really your not going to marry a wonderful guy cause the sex is bad. thats just dumb and sad. get beat and have great sex and be miserable.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't be at all surprised.  Abstinence clearly does not work.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it works. I waited till I was married. Still married for 12 years now and still happy. I think now a days everything is so sexual that it's seems like abstinence is the farthest thing on anyone's mind. I don't think people get married young so they can have sex. I just think people that are having sex get married old because there's nothing special to look forward to for them to wanna get married and commit to one person. Then when they are old they just get married because they realize they are old and feel like they should be. IMO. I see it happening around me. It's mainly the not wanting to commit to one person for the rest of your life thing....Pretty sad.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 8:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• it was in the 60s and they had to get parental consent. why the heck my grandparents gave it I'll never know.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was married at 21 and abstained until marriage. My sister is 27, still unmarried and a virgin...so no.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Both dh and I waited until we were married, we were 23. My brother and his wife both waited and they were 25 and 23. My college roommates all waited. One is not married yet, she is 30 and still a virgin. So I guess, no, is what I am saying. I do believe that abstinence does work.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• it didn't work cause your uncle got married to have sex not cause he wanted to be married. obviously he was to young to make such a mature decision. it has little to do about abstaining before sex.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• marriage i mean.
    melody77