how can i get my 4 year old to go to bed with out kicking and screaming?

cmpoth

Asked by cmpoth at 10:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have a 5yr old, almost 6 in a few weeks and he said, I'm scared of the dark and I said there is nothing in the dark ,or your room. I told him to go upstairs and get in bed, cause he had school the next day and to stop being a baby and that even your sister, who's 11 1/2mths old doesn't even cry as much as you does. Tell him he has to go to bed or he won;t get to do nothing fun the next day or watch t.v. Find something as a reason why he needs to go to bed to wake up to something. Tell him your tired and to act like he's 4. Stand him in the corner or have him hold a book over his head when he does that, or put him in his room with a gate in front and shut the door.
    Anonymous

• Set a bedtime routine. DD's routine is bathtime, storytime, and bedtime. We also leave her light on while she is going to sleep, and turn it off once she's asleep. She hates going to sleep in the dark. Ignore the tantrums, yes I know it's easier said than done.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I had the same problem with my twins going to bed. They are five now and sleep in the same bedroom, without any problems. What we did was make sure they are tired when they go to bed by having them play hard outside as much as possible (play with them). Follow a nightly routine, dinner, a really warm bath, teeth, snuggle reading time and then bed. At dinner they drink a glass of milk and I use the lavender bath wash. The routine is boring but it makes them feel secure. We do follow the routine when we aren't home too. As for the kicking and screaming, pick him up put him in bed say 'goodnight' give a kiss, walk out of the room. When he gets up again, pick him up put him in bed say 'goodnight' give a kiss walk out of the room. Over and over if you have too . The trick is staying calm and not turning it into a fight by feeding into his tantrum.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Routine is very important. Read him a story and let him pick which one he wants. Maybe leave a nightlight on for him in case the dark scares him. We bought our son a Lightening McQueen radio/CD player and we put music on for him every night. That seems to help. The CD player was pretty cheap but because it was his favorite character it seemed to make bed time more fun for him. We also let him choose what music he wants to listen to. You would think you would have to put on calm, soothing music, but It's more important to put something on that they enjoy listening to. Hope that helps!
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 9:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2008