Even if you believe this country was founded on Christianity...

Does that matter, now, today, where a largish part of the population isn't Christian, and that the Constitution was set up so that all people, regardless of religion or lack thereof would be equal?

I mean that was then, this is now. We are a different people now. And if we want to follow the Constitution, shouldn't we actually follow it?

Saya

Asked by Saya at 8:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I dont see how this country was founded on christianity when one of the main this is freedom of religion.....if it was founded on christianity dont you think that everyone would have to be christian that lives here? But thats just me...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• John Adams said that this nation (the Constitution) was designed for a moral people. That's not to say that non-believers aren't moral, but rather to say that Christians have a definite moral code. In a relativist world, there are different moral codes and this has caused us and our government to ultimately ignore the Constitution. (and I'm not just speaking about Obama - The Constitution has been trampled on for decades by BOTH parties and has progressively gotten worse - no pun intended).

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Doesn't matter to me what religion or lack of they were. They gave me the right to choose a religion or not have one. I can live with that.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• And if we want to follow the Constitution, shouldn't we actually follow it?

What part of the constitution do you not want to follow?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oops, sorry op, I misread your question. But I am still having a hard time understanding what your asking exactly.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• most of the framers of the constitution were actually Freemasons, not Christians. Anyone can say that it was founded on Christian values, but aren't a majority of Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist values and morals all similiar to Christian values?
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• people, circumstances, experiences, ect. none of these things change. we aren't a different people, only the technology and fashion has changed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• "Christians have a definite moral code."

I've seen no evidence of this, or at least that there's one that's adhered to.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well it wasn't but even if it was your right it no longer matters,

ohn Adams said that this nation (the Constitution) was designed for a moral people.

You need a dictionary moral people does not in any way mean Christian. Many other cultures and religions have the same basic moral code. So get off your high horse and except it all ready.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Sorry I wasn't clear. What I'm saying is, that for people who DO believe that the country was founded on Christianity- that Christian principles were the basis for our whole set up- Do those people think it should stay that way, given that there are citizens, many citizens who are not Christian,

And, as times have changed, society has changed, and our significant parts of our whole set up has changed: i.e. slavery, women's suffrage, shouldn't our laws reflect that? (I'm talking about keeping church and state separated, which is what people who say "Our country was founded on Christianity really want,)

I'm not even talking about the 1st amm. because many times those same people ignore the very first rule our founding fathers set down.
    Does that make sense?
    Saya

Comment by Saya (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010