Cheek Kisses. I have a family member that gives cheek kisses but she leans in and puckers up her mouth and distorts it to the outside and makes a sound. How phony. I do not get these cheek kisses. Some people go around giving them to everyone. They are usually meaningless.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 8:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I absolutely hate this ritual. I always do it wrong, I lean in for a hug when its a cheek kisser, I go in for a cheek kiss and its a hugger. I give the one kiss on the cheek and pull away and it turns out they are European and want a double kiss. I ALWAYS DO IT WRONG and it is always awkward!!! Is there a standard here that I can just stick with??? LOL.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• well in my family its a cultural thing. i personaly don't get it either. has she been hanging around any spanish or italian people. usually they are the ones that do it most in their culture. but could be alot more that do it rather then don't. its just a cultural thing.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know someone who has to hug and cheek kiss hello and good bye. It's a game for me to not have to do that as I meet or leave. HAHAHA
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• How do you know what the intentions are? How is the way someone kisses people affectionate phony? I don't get that? My Gramma does that and I think it's cute and sweet.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i love cheek kisses : )
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She is around Phillapine people (sp).
    I would rather hug someone who I really feel something for. Rather than walk into a room and give 6 people cheek kisses.
    I see this on the view with some quests. How can a person feel the same about all of them. Some they have never met before.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm from Eastern Europe and kisses on the cheek are a typical way of greeting family or close friends in my culture. Although if it's friends of friends, etc, cheek kisses are acceptable as well. It's a cultural thing and nothing you need to be judgmental about. If you're uncomfortable with it, just say something. I don't think there's anything phony about it - it's just how that person shows affection.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know lots of people who do that.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The French, kiss one or both cheeks when greeting or leaving. Here where I'm from we either hug or cheek kiss everyone that we see that we know. It's a European cultural heritage thing. I love it but I grew up with it. It's a nice way to greet and welcome people.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Would it be more heartfelt if she slipped the toungue?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010