how does hearing dr test if child cannot comprehend whats said

my child is autistic and she needs hearing checked and i was wondering if anybody knows how they test hearing when the child does not understand what is being said and cannot tell when they hear the sounds for the test

lovingmom62

Asked by lovingmom62 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• they would test with beeps, or noises and check for reactions to them... like they do with a newborn... or at least from what i understand.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They can sedate the child and perform an EEG; my (preemie) daughter had this done when she was 6 months old because she failed 2 hearing tests while in the NICU.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They have diff. testing methods. One of the tests is called otoacoustic emissions or OAEs. For this test, a miniature earphone and microphone are placed in the ear, sounds are played and a response is measured. If a baby hears normally, an echo is reflected back into the ear canal and is measured by the microphone. When a baby has a hearing loss, no echo can be measured on the OAE test.
    I'm not sure that this is the test that they will be using with Autistic Children, but trust me they have there way of finding out the hearing potential of the child. Good luck!!!
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2010