How do I successfully potty train my son to poop?

Is it normal for my son to be so old (almost 4yrs) but not be potty trained? He won't poop in the toilet but goes to pee without any problems.I have tried and tried and feel so bad, I ask myself what am I doing wrong.Tips, anybody?

inquisitive-me

Asked by inquisitive-me at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure what your situation is but my son is 3 yrs old and FINALLY potty trained. I think we are going on like 5 or 6 mths at least of strict potty training. We are finally at a point that if my son has an accident it's like every two weeks or so.

I tried to explain to my son that if he feels something in his belly he may need to go poop. I showed him when he does poop to press on his stomach to feel his belly get real hard. Thats when he knows that he is going the right way. I explained to him how yucky it is to have poop on his bottom and how much better it feels to put it in the toilet.
    Get him his favorite underwear and tell him "we need to keep these clean or Superman or whoever will be sad that you got them dirty. That worked for my son. Just a few tips. Keep me updated. I'm curious.

Jen
    jenrae10

Answer by jenrae10 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• How to potty train a stubborn toddler - Baby Developmental Stages ...
    I tried potty training my son when he was two plus but he cried and cried ... Potty training woes, poop smearing! When my daughter committed her first nasty ...
    www.helium.com/knowledge/2087-how-to-potty-train-a-stubborn-toddler -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i worked in daycare and you would not believe how normal that is for boys, so just be patient and one day it will just happen when you are not expecting it.
    drgroves

Answer by drgroves at 5:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Boys take a little longer than girls to poopy train, but what worked really well with me, was that every time i had to go i would take my boy with me, showed him what i did and also sit him down on his potty, until he got the message and started on his own, when he would go on his own we would clap and celebrate, hug him and this went on for about 2 months of cheering him every time, patience is the key
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Bring your child in to the bathroom when you or your spouse has to have BM. Show him when you are done (I know sounds kinda out there but it is not) and let your child flush the toilet and wave goodbye. This lets your kid know it is ok because mommy and daddy do it! Next stand by your child at all time and when you see him about to have an accedent... Pick him up and carry him to the potty to poop.

Potty Training | Potty Training Boys | How To Potty Train A Toddler

JillBradlie

Answer by JillBradlie at 4:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010