What if a mom told your kid to behave?

How would you react if another mom asked your child to stop misbehaving?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 9:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would tell her to back off and if she has a problem to come to me NEVER to my kids...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It depends on which child. If she told one of my neuro typical children to behave, they most likely deserved it, because they know how they are supposed to behave in public. If she told my autistic one to behave, I'd probably not respond so well, as she probably does not realize that his arm flapping and jumping up and down and rocking back and forth, IS his behaving.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'd be irate, but I'm more the silent type. I'd internalize it and probably try to get out of the situation as soon as possible. My son is well behaved so I don't see this as ever being a problem, but I've seen other children I wish I could tell to behave, or more directly, tell their parents to keep a closer eye on them.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 9:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's interesting to me because we recently moved from a very close community where if you corrected another child it was OK because it was usually with love and not a big deal. Anyway now where we live people aren't quite as receptive. Even if it's done nicely...
    ajbrownies

Comment by ajbrownies (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well, my first instinct was to make sure my kid wasn't doing something completely annoying that made another person feel she needed to say that. Then, my kids would be disciplined for behaving in a way that brings that type of attention to them. I would then apologize to the woman for my children's behavior. Hold your kids to a high standard and don't let them put you in the position to "tell someone to back off". They know you won't do anything, and they can do what they want, where they want, and when they want and this includes school. This is why kids don't think a teacher can correct their behavior and tell teachers "just wait until my mom gets here, you are going to regret this" and mom comes ready to fuss and never corrects the kid. But, the teacher gets fussed out - messed up.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It would depend on the situation and what exactly was said. Sometimes my kids do act up and do things they shouldn't be doing, if I don't happen to see it and someone else does, I wouldn't mind if they reprimanded them. Especially if it was a close friend and someone I trusted. Now if it started happening all the time or it was unprovoked, then we would have an issue.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If my kid was misbehaving, I'd appreciate it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Exactly the same as Zava, word for word, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son hit a few kids at Parent Ed. I didn't have a problems bcuz he needs to also hear it from others that it's not right. Plus they did it da same as I would have done it. If it was rude, as it's been done before, I wouldn't have said anything. My son would have smacked da mom, as he's done before. Then we walk away :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm always on top of DD, so I can't imagine a situation where another parent would even have to correct my kiddo.  But if it happened, I would ask what happened before reacting.  Kids always need guidance, whether it is from me, or another concerned caregiver.  If I felt like the person was correcting my child based on assumptions, then I would question it.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010