Does anyone have a child that twitches while trying to sit still?

My 6yr old, who is very smart and developing normal for her age starts to twitch, while resting only. I started noticing the twitching about 2yrs ago, around Oct. What happens is she jurks her arms up and twitches her head. It only lasts about 2 sec, but she will continue to do it every couple minutes or so, until she gets up. It only happens when she is resting. For exp, while I'm reading to her or watching a movie. She was 4 when it started and would tell me her body feels funny. We took her to a Dr, who then reffered her to a neurologist. They tested her, and said everything was normal. She continued to twitch and then, a few months later, it completely stopped. She began twitching again the same time, Sept ( when she started pre-school) and ended in Jan. (after Christmas) She just started Kindergarten, and its back! I have a feeling it is being triggered by stress or excitement, but I want to know why? Any info will help!

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• The only thing I can think of that might cause twitching is tourettes syndrome. It seems like the doc would have diagnosed it though. It could be stress though from the situations you mentioned.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 12:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Im not sure but bump so hope that helps
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• These are classic Tourettes syndrome symptoms! My middle son has Tourettes. He was diagnosed young like that and now he just turned 25 (on Sept. 21) and is in his senior year of college. Tourettes waxes and wanes, that is why when you think it stops it is back again. Yes, stress is a trigger, good observation mom. It can also move to another body part.such as eye blinking for example. Then there are vocal tics like clearing their throat, sniffing like they have a cold.

Janet

Answer by Janet at 1:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When most people think of Tourettes Syndrome they think the worst because the way the talk shows betray them. They show only the bad cases. Most Tourettes however are not that bad they are actually mild. There is a website I am going to give you that may be able to help you find a doctor in your area to see your little girl and see if it is indeed Tourettes. There is also tons of information on there for you.

http://www.tsa-usa.org/

Janet

Answer by Janet at 1:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Thank you so much for all the info! How do you test for tourettes? Every time we took her in, she was fine, and didn't have one tick. And also, is there any meds for it?
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010