why does my kitchen sponge smell after only a day?

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 9:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria. For a cleaning solution try vinegar, baking soda and a couple drops of tea tree oil, mix it all up in a spray bottle, it is a disinfectant. That should get rid of the smell in your sponge. Do remember to rinse it thoughly and run it through the dishwasher once in a while. Hope that helps.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A Sponge is a breeding ground for bacteria. It is full of Bacteria that is constantly growing & multiplying. Either throw it into the dishwasher every night or soak nightly in a light solution of bleach & water in a bowl. You are adding germs daily to your dishes everytime you use it if it has an odor. The odor is the germs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you can also microwave your sponges. It's an easy way to disenfect them. Just rinse them out and ring them almost dry and microwave for about 10 seconds.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 11:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• what kind of dish soap do you use? that could be it..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you need to thoroughly rinse it out and then wring out as much water as you can and put it to the side to dry
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• IDK....but I never use a sponge, it holds way too many germs. Yes, you could throw it in the dishwasher every day. But I have been raised to use wash clothes. I go through several in a day, but when I already have to wash a load of towels and cloth diapers every day, what is another 3 or 4 washclothes??? Nothing, and less germs being spread.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would use a rag that you wash in the washing machine. It probably smells because you didn't wring it out enough. Boil it in water and then spray with lysol or you could soak it in bleach water. GL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It could be the dish soap or what you used it on...
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010