I NEED HELP!!!! SLEEPING BABY PROBLEMS!!!

Okay, So basically I have been reading about all these other moms on here that can put there babys in bed at 8 and have them sleep 12 hours a nite. And I'm just sittin here like, What??? My son doesnt even begin to go to sleep at 8. He goes to bed when he wants to go to bed, and doesnt sleep 12 hours a nite. He gets up still and eats off me when hes hungry. Right now, I'm a co sleeper. Which I hate but I am trying to get him to sleep in his own bed and nothing seems to work. I get him to sleep and lay him in his bed and he will be awake 10 minutes later. So what I guess I'm trying to say is..........
Who the heck do these other moms do it? and what makes there babys sleep in there own bed?

Tmommy5

Asked by Tmommy5 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is the same way. It's like they have little alarms letting them know they aren't in our beds.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 11:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• have you ever tried running a hair drying next to his bed (set to low or cool). Both my kids love it. thats how we get our daughter to sleep most nights and she sleeps around 12 hours. Good luck.
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• A hair dryer seems a little dangerous, maybe use a CD with static noise on it instead?
    Anonymous

• My daughter slept in her crib from birth but she always slept in my room right next to my bed so that if i had to get up to check on her it wasn't very far, not to mention that she was a premie and threw up in her sleep. She ate every two hours for the first four months, but once she was that age, she slept about 8 hours a night. now she has a really strict bed time and a bed time routine that we do so she's in bed by 9 and sleeps until about 8 am. so depending on how old your baby is, how and when you put them to bed etc...a number of things could be helpful. i'm not really sure, we just kinda went with the flow! :D best of luck
    ManderInOrange

Answer by ManderInOrange at 11:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• well no. I havent really tryed the blow dryer. Can it actually work on a 5 month old baby?
    Tmommy5

Answer by Tmommy5 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• its just he doesnt sleep. He doesnt take naps durin the day and he doesnt sleep at nite unless hes next to me. He is awake within like 10 mins and doesnt go to sleep unless im so tired and just hav to place him next to me. Plus I hav to wen we lay him down, he fusses and crys till we pick him up.
    Tmommy5

Answer by Tmommy5 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• This is probably the same answer you are going to get from others, but it's all about a routine. My little man has absolutely no problems going to bed at 8, or sleeping through the night. He's three now, and even tells me if we are past bed time, because he's so use to the routine. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT since he was three months old, we either give him a bath or do a quiet project (like coloring a page in his book), then he gets his jammies on, picks one ten minute video to watch while having a small snack (cheerios and milk), brushes his teeth, reads a book with us, then gets tucked in and lights out. All takes about 45min and are quiet activities that let him wind down. I know it's hard to think about, and harder to do, but you could start a routine and use the cry it out method. Once he realizes you are going to do the same thing every night, he will get use to it and be totally cooperative.
    Good luck~
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 11:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Many times, a 5 month old will need to eat throughout the night, especially if breastfeeding. Create a routine and stick to it. Then he will get the idea of bedtime and know what is coming and kind of prepare himself.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• well, my son goes to bed at 8 and doesn't get up till 8, and if he does get up earlier, he knows he's not allowed out of his room till 8, so he plays. he's 19 months. how i did it: I let him CIO in his own crib at 5 1/2- 6 months and after a couple of weeks he learned how to soothe himself to sleep, he still got up once a night to eat but at about 7 months i stopped and let him cry for about 20 minutes when he woke up to eat, and if he was still crying after 20-30 minutes i got up and gave him a bottle, but if he fell back asleep i went back to sleep to. eventually around 8 months he just started sleeping through the night, and has been ever since. (knock on wood) (continued)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• continued- i started the whole " not allowed out of his room till 8am" thing a couple of months ago. i just had a DD, she's 12 weeks, and i have her on the same schedule, only difference is that she does get up once at night to eat, and early the next morning, but she's normally awake for the day at about 8am (again, knock on wood). i'll let her fuss herself to sleep, but if she's crying really bad then i know she needs something. hope this helps
    armywife43