I'm worried about her speech, can u tell me if this is okay?

My 17 month old doesn't say much.... She says " mama, daddy, hi, bye, dog and baby"... I'm getting worried, she does mumble but what can I do?? We have a 4 year old who talks very well for his age.... Ahh...!

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say she is within the range of the norm. Just wait a little longer. Soon she will be learning new worlds and phrases almost every day! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The 2nd child usually speaks less at first, because everyone speaks for them. She sounds just fine to me. Soon enough they'll be arguing in the back seat and you'll be asking yourself why you wanted her to speak up. LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• no worries! at 17 months old you cant expect her to say a lot! Just keep encouraging her! read to her, repetitively show her the pictures and label them, label the shapes, colors and items at the grocery store! Take her to playgroups! Being social always helps speech and interaction. I was worried about my son at 18 months, but now at 2.5 years old he says something new every day and has many 2 word sentences. So much easier to communicate!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my DD didn't start speaking a lot until she was 23 months. she had a few words she used all the time but not a lot. once she hit almost 2 years old we couldn't get her to STOP talking lol.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i wouldnt worry too much about it, if it concerns you talk to ur doc. but my son is almost 3 and talks a little bit-if she can understand shes fine. give her time. it helps to narrate what ur doing and what she is doing. the more she hears words-the more she gets used to them and kno what they mean. like "im putting on molly's red sweater" or "mommy is making dinner" it helps. GL
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• sounds pretty normal. my dd is a chatterbox but other kids in toddler school with her, same age, are reserved and quiet. i was insistent on it tho. if she pointed and grunted, i'd tell her, "juice, you want juice? say juice, mama, then." and she got it when she said it (i KNEW that she could, i'm not saying, obviously, to neglect her while pushing for something impossible lol) but it seemed to hurry her up. anyway. seems normal to me. i've seen many kids this age who simply didn't wanna talk.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my dd who is almost 3 has a speech delay, She would mumble most of her words. I found out through the stat of New Jersey they have services, where if your child needs it, they send a speech therapist out to help with your child. My Child Started 5 months ago, and will be starting preschool on her 3rd bday. And in the preschool, they have speech and occupational therapists to work with them. I hope this helps.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• That sounds pretty normal for her age and since she is the younger, they tend to talk less since the sibling can talk for them. I wouldn't worry too much yet. :D
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think thats normal. They have told me it is for my son. They think he will just start saying more things all at once instead of a few at a time.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2010