• In the Spotlight:

Dumb coffee question

Is it normal to have a scummy layer on top of your coffee after you make it? I just started making coffee at home and noticed a film on it today. Please tell me I am not going to die of horrible coffee-related illness!

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 10:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• When I heat milk in the microwave and it gets really hot, it gets a film. Is that what you mean? I have to dip a spoon in it and toss it in the sink, otherwise I get it in my mouth and it's just gross.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It looks kind of like the top of any hot beverage does when you have sipped it with lipstick on. Just a light layer of....something. I am using a secondhand coffeemaker but I cleaned it with vinegar 3 times and again with water a couple times before I used it. I am using french vanilla flavored coffee - maybe that leaves a residue from the flavoring?
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Some coffee does have some oil residue to it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• are you using liquid or powder? i found that some of the knock-off powders do that.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Regular coffee grounds, generic grocery store brand. I am not a coffee connoissueur - I just like iced coffee sometimes and would rather make it myself so I know what's in it and it doesn't make me broke!
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Your coffee pot could need to be cleaned.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Run vinegar and water through it to clean it. Not the pot but the whole system.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've noticed a film a few times, but I think it was after it got cold and had been sitting around for a while.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 10:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, it shouldn't look like that. Probably needs a good cleaning.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Only time my coffee does that is when I let it get cold
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010