How much sleep does your 5-year-old get?

Ours goes to bed at 8 (may actually fall asleep about 8:30 or so but lights are out at 8pm) . For awhile he was getting up on his own - sometimes before me (I get up at 7 am). This week I've been having to wake him up at his breakfast time (7:30, the latest I can wake him up to have him ready for school on time) and he's still complaining he is tired. I can't really put him to bed too much earlier because our dinner and bedtim schedule. And if he takes a nap then it's impossible for him to fall asleep at bedtime. Is this normal? 11 1/2 hours is enough sleep, isn't it? Do you think maybe he's having a small growth spurt or just an extra busy week or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 y/o goes to bed between 9 and 10, and gets up around 7:30 for school. She never complains about being tired in the morning, and takes a 2 hour nap after school (full day)
    Anonymous

• Since my SS was 5 we have done 10 hours of sleep at home. He does bedtime at 8:30, up at 6:30 so he can get to school on time.He seems fine with this. At his BM's house he only ever gets about 8 and you can tell the next day. Maybe he is getting too much sleep? I am not sure what doctors recommend for that age. It could definately be a growth spurt though for sure.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• 3-6 Years Old need 10 ¾ - 12 hours per day. Mine when they were at the age were sleeping 12 hours.... They are 6 and 7 now and are sleeping 11 hours.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/how-much-sleep-do-children-need?page=4

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My 5yo is asleep by 8:00 and gets up at 7:30 each morning. We are going to start putting him to bed a little earlier though. He seems to require more sleep than other kids his age it seems.
    Anonymous

• I put my 5 year old to bed at 8:30 pm. he gets up at 6 or 5:50 mon-fri. His bus comes at 7 sharp. he hates getting up and gets out of the bed at least 5 times. with this schdl now though he usually gets up 3 times in btwn. I don't think that's too early. My ex husband disturbs his and my 22 month old by coming after 9 calling at 10 or after and being really disrespectful...nuther story..:) look for my group trying to get one. but you right on target. they need their rest and so do we. we love them and they know they can trick us stick to your guns. 7 is early for a 5 year old and if yours gives you drama in the morning like mines. 8 is good. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My daughter is 5. She goes to bed at 8pm and gets up at 6am, so she gets 10 hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My daughter is 5. She goes to bed at 8pm and gets up at 6am, so she gets 10 hours. That is the appropriate amount of sleep.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my daughter is in bed between 8-830pm, and wakes up around 8-8:15am...shes only 4.5, but next year when shes in kindergarten and has to be up and at school by 830am, i think im gonna have to end up putting her to bed a lil earlier..(im SOOOOO not lookin forward to those early mornings..lol)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My 5 year old goes to bed by 8, and is up by 6:45 a.m. at the lastest to get ready for for school. He then comes from from all-day K and takes a 45 minute nap. He NEEDS this to recharge or he is a monster. I think your little guy is probably going through a growth spurt. When Nate is going through his spurts ALL he wants to do is sleep or lay on the couch which is EXTREMELY rare. The laying on the couch is usually reserved for the flu!
    2lilshamrocks

Answer by 2lilshamrocks at 8:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My 7 yr old is "lights out at 9 pm" and he is up at 7:15 am for school...
    He use to sleep (before school) 12 hrs every night...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2008