Any support peopel out there for single parents raising three ADHD children n can help me a few thigns i am need of soem advice

I am a 29 year old single mother of three children whom all were diagonsed with adhd ,,,,,,,I am at my witts end ove tried everythign from paly theraphy with them to the alst resort medication ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THEy ahve amde bedtime sucha war they usually dont fall asleep until around 230 am ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, n its been like that for a while ,,,,,,,,I love my kids to death but imat my witts end my son ha sbeen in principals office almost every day cos of behavior at school ,,,,,, my oldest is 11 n all she does anymore is whine and cry and scream weve had discussions woht the dr he switche dmeds n it been amont hn no signs of improvement i tell them somethign they purposely ignor eme i know they do becuz they look right at whiel im speakin to them Any suggestions

nymommaof3

Asked by nymommaof3 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what type of treatment are they receiving? Have you considered dietary changes? Also, do you have them in activities such as sports to help them channel some of their energy?
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my son isnt adhd as far as i know at this point but my sister was diagnosed very young and my mom has a hard time too.idk if your doc told you,but red dye makes it 100x worse so try to avoid that!and give them things to do alone!my mom had 3 girls,the middle one being the only adhd but she also had bipolar disorder,skitsofrania,"middle child syndrome",and severe deprssion..anyway,she always did better doing things solo!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 2:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I only have 2 but they both have ADHD. Look at their diet. Cut out any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and processed foods like cold cuts and potato chips. That was a huge help for my kids.
    As for purposely ignoring you, don't be so sure. If the meds aren't working, it may not be intentional ignoring. My kids, before their meds could look me directly in the eye as I spoke to them, but when I would ask them to repeat it back, they would tell me "I was listening, but I don't know what you said." They just could not focus at all, under any circumstances.
    Have you spoken to the doctor about other treatment options, and combining treatment options? I would do that. You might be able to do some behavior modification therapy with the meds, and then if you make diet changes, all of that combined might help. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• CUT OUT HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYPUP!!!!! This has transformed all of our lives! It's harder here in the United States, but just terrific. I also agree with the cutting out all artificial colors, and caffiene (haha try to stay up till 230 then!) The other thing is assign them jobs! Chores can busy their mionds enough to not think about what misbehavior they are going to do next.
    bekabunnie

Answer by bekabunnie at 11:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would change their diets (Jenny McCarthy took dairy and wheat our of her son's diet for instance) but it also sounds like yall need counseling, maybe a pastor or grandparent to come in the home (think supernanny) and put in place some boundaries (like bedtimes, no tv in bedrooms, schedules, rewards and consequences). (((HUGS))) I am sure being a single mom of 3 is not a piece of cake by far! Keep your head up.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2008