??? 4 months of diarrhea???? NORMAL????

ok so my son brendan is 18 months, and he has had watery diarrhea since the end of july. I have taken him to the dr and the first one took stool samples and told me he was fine, the second one thought he might have gotten a hold of bad water since we just got back from a trip to texas in july, the dr gave him anitbiotics which did nuthing, he still has diarrhea, its been constant and never changing, i make him drink alot through out the day to make sure he doesnt get dehydrated but i dont know what else to do, I have another dr app for him on the 6th and im scared they wont find anything , i mean what could explain this? and if there isnt anything wrong with him then why does he still have diarrhea? what do i do if this one cant find anything? do i take him to another? what if he finds something completely horrible .... i just dont know, Im a single mom and this is really getting to me

brendans_mom527

Asked by brendans_mom527 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Does he drink a lot of milk? A lot of times it won't get better until you take him off milk for a couple of weeks. I know there's a scientific reason, but I can't tell you what it is...LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I would find a different dr. if they don't find anything and the diarrhea continues.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• yeah we quit giving him milk and even changed to soy milk and no change cause at first that what we thought it was too
    brendans_mom527

Answer by brendans_mom527 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Noo he is fine!!!!

My son did this too right around that age!!

and there was nothing wrong with him. He grew out of it after a while
    If there was something majorly wrong you WOULD know trust me
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• wheat intolerance or allergy perhaps.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My son did the same thing. His dr said it was 'chronic toddler diarrhea'. he grew out of it a little past his 2nd b-day. he was on soy for a long time, then we tried regular milk. We did the B.R.A.T. diet and that didnt' help eithor. He was totally fine. Now my second son has a little bit of a similar issue. And he has been cleared as perfectly healthy.
    I wouldn't worry about it to much if no one has found anything wrong!!

Good luck!
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 1:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my 10 month old son has had the same problem since he was about 5 months!!we started mixing infant oatmeal in his formula and it seemed to work!!that way he still got the nutrients needed but it thickened it and was better on his digestive system..(my grandma told me to do this)!so you could try that with milk..it may not make a difference but it did with my son!!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 1:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• allergy or an intollerence to something
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Consider giving him probiotics (good bacteria). They make some for infants and toddlers. Any health food store will carry a GOOD brand for kids. You can PM me if you want more info. My LO has taken them since he was about 9 months and he's never had a single poo problem (constipation or diarrhea), nor any illnesses. Probiotics also help boost immunity! They're good stuff :)
    nicarue824

Answer by nicarue824 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008