Severe headache postpartum- any ideas?

I gave birth to my son on 9.9.10. I have had headaches almost constantly since birth over 3 weeks ago. I take 1000 mg of tylenol every 6 hours or so to help deal with them, but it's doing very little. When it comes on, it's very painful- like someone is stabbing me. It causes me to stop whatever I am doing and grab my head. Earlier this evening I had one come on so strong, I literally saw white and had to hang my head for a short while to regain vision and stop being dizzy. I've been a migraine sufferer for years- with visual disturbances (flashes, floaters) but typically I can make them go away with rest and medicine. This is like one massive long painful headache that I get a break from a few hours a day and when sleeping. Any ideas as to what this might be? My blood pressure is only slightly elevated so I dont think it's Pre-E. This was my 7th child- never had headaches like this before.

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• this may sound crazy i know but if you can feel a head coming on you can pull ur hair. not from the end put like a the ponytail. pull and release, pull and release. not real quick. i went to massage school and this was in one of my classes. it seems to help me sometimes. but the thing is you have to cathch it before it gets too severe. i suffer from bad headaches too. have since i was like 18 and i am now almost 27. hope you can find something to help. i know how you feel
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Did you have an epidural? If so..you may have a spinal headache from a spinal fluid leak and may need a blood patch.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Did you have an epi? It might be a spinal headache. From what I've heard, they can last weeks. Stop taking so much Tylenol, you'll screw up your liver. Can you call your doc and have them give you a script for something stronger, like imitrex?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have an appointment next Tuesday. I am on blood thinners for a clotting disorder so I know there are lots of things I cant take with the lovenox I'm on right now. I *did* have an epidural this time. I asked the nurse the possibility of having a spinal headache the morning I was discharged because the headache had just started and it hurt really bad. She said that if it was an epidural headache, I'd of been in screaming pain. I wasn't in screaming pain.
    Then again, I labored without any pain relief for many many hours without screaming either, so maybe I just have a higher pain tolerance? I dont know. How will they be able to tell if it's an epidural headache or something else?
    MamaCarterof5

Comment by MamaCarterof5 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That's crazy. Pain is subjective as far as "screaming pain" goes. Your threshold might be higher. I had a spinal headache and it hurt, but I was not screaming. That could be you as well. You could have a spinal headache, but it's not "screaming pain". Everyone deals with pain different.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 1:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree, Heather, it sounds like it could be from the epidural. They should be something to help you. Tylenol just won't cut it. I am also a migraine sufferer and you need something strong! I can't imagine trying to take care of a newborn and six other little ones in that kind of pain. I would call them and demand to be seen and given something that actually helps. If I lived there still, I would totally offer to help!
    mommyandthree

Answer by mommyandthree at 9:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Heather it sounds like a spinal headache. My step-mom had the same thing and it lasted for weeks and weeks. They actually tried to do a patch but it didn't work so she just had to wait it out. It took FOREVER. Yours sounds exactly how she was describing hers. You need to ask your doctor about it!!
    mamapudge

Answer by mamapudge at 2:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I had the spinal headache after my son was born. It took a few weeks for it to go completely away. I would recommend as my dr did. Drink a cup of strong coffee, take motrin or tylenol and put an ice pack at the base of your neck under the back of you head.
    natalex26

Answer by natalex26 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010