Having trouble breastfeeding!

I'm trying my hardest to keep from quitting on breastfeeding my 2 week old. I've read and read, I have consulted with a few LC's and basically I'm told everything's fine but my baby lost almost 2 lbs within a few days of birth and it startled me as well as his dr. His dr. recommended I supplement with formula which is something I was refusing to do but found no other way around it. I've been trying to keep him on the breast on days where I have less tasks to do so that I can feed him every 1-2 hrs and get him used to it but it's exhausting and discouraging not seeing more results. I've taken several measures in my diet to attempt to produce milk and I ordered Fenugreek online so I should be expecting that shortly but I'm pumping, the most I'll get at any given time is 45ml (from both total) and that's not usually common... any suggestions? I dont want to give up on this!

kk8878

Asked by kk8878 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal for them to lose weight at first
    Once you supplement, you tell your body to produce less milk
    They HAVE to feed every time they make a peep at first. Even if that means feeding every 30 minutes.
    Let him eat off one side at each feeding and let him eat until he pulls away.
    Pumping amount does NOT equal what baby can get out of the breast on his own.
    He will get hungrier more and feed more often than a formula feeder because BM is digested so easily and so fast..unlike formula that sits in their stomach.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• BradenIsMySon, I couldn't have said it better!

Also remember to RELAX, and your baby will too... Sit down, and just let him nurse as long as he wants. It's supply and demand, what he demands, you will be able to supply, so just keep nursing him...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Also...you can PM me if you have any exact questions. I can only remember to type so much. LOL I try though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• this worked for me! its called mother's milk. its a tea that helps you produce milk and believe me it does! its from a group called traditional medicinals and they have their own web site if you want to take a peek. i called them up and told them i couldn't find their product anywhere at any store i shop and they sent me two boxes of the stuff. give it a try.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would BF more before I tried any supplements. Also drink LOTS!!! of water.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Ok...all three of my babies lost weight between birth and leaving the hospital. Every one of them. You do not need to supplement. You should NOT be pumping. You need to put your baby to the breast ON DEMAND from the baby. You will and should be nursing a lot...at least every 2 hours and some days you may even wonder why you bothered putting a shirt on! Pumping is NOT a good indicator of how much milk you are producing. I have fed three babies for at least a year each ( I am still nursing one now) and have never been able to pump more than 2 oz at a time. Drink a lot of water, maintain a good and healthy diet and keep that baby on the breast as often as possible! Hang in there!!! Check out the breastfeeding group on here, also. There is a lot of support on there as well!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• no one tells you how hard breastfeeding is!! but you can do it....have you tried 'mother's milk' tea? it helps promote healthy lactation....also, pump after every feeding.....supply and demand....don't forget to drink LOTS of water, which is mostly what breastmilk consists of....even if you cannot sit and breastfeed your baby every hour to hour and a half, pump....this is a tough job!!! i wish you the best of luck :)
    supermom326

Answer by supermom326 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I had supply problems in the beginning too, and I am a living example of the fact that supplementing with formula does NOT necessarily ruin breastfeeding forever!! I am still going strong at nearly 21 months old. I started supplementing at about 5 days old when it was clear my baby was hungry and not being satisfied. I gave up on breastfeeding for 2 whole weeks because I was so depressed and discouraged, and frankly I was having really bad anxiety over the whole situation. Then, I tried again. And he latched! And he nursed! And it didn't hurt anymore, because there was actually MILK in there for him finally. Little by little, the amount of formula got smaller and the time spent nursing got longer. By 3 months old, I was exclusively breastfeeding him. MANY people will tell you to never ever supplement...but they are not your kid's mom. YOU are. YOU are ultimately responsible and you need to do what you feel is best.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh and also, to support what other moms said, pumping is truly not a good indicator of milk production. I could never get more than a couple ounces, and that would take me an hour. This was when I was exclusively breastfeeding a 6 month old, so I KNEW there was milk in there and plenty of it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010