contractions /braxton hicks???

im 33w and i feel like i need go #2 and my stomache gets really hard,lotsa presure to.how do i tell the difference between braxton hicks and the real thing?

mayo9mommy

Asked by mayo9mommy at 10:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• time them if they are like 3-5 mins apart then go to the er.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• get in the tub and relax....if the cramps worse, call your ob...if they stop, then they are probably braxton hicks.....it is usually ok to take a tylenol for the discomfort
    supermom326

Answer by supermom326 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I having been having BH since I was 24 weeks and BH do get uncomfortable but do not increase like real contractions do. I am 35 weeks now and my BH are 5 mins apart for the last couple of weeks.Before they were every 10 minutes. Mine can be uncomfortable and do not go away even if I walk or change positions and aren't making me dilate. I let my doctor know at each visit how I am doing and he has sent me to the hospital twice a week for NST (Non Stress Test) and BPP (Biophysical Profile) twice a week until I deliver. I was also put on RX to help control them but it hasn't changed the frequency or strength but I haven't started dilating yet either which is what you do not want. IMO, I would go to the doctor or the hospital if you can't see your doctor right now so they can check you, better to be safe than sorry.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 11:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• For me:
    BH: "oh that's not so bad"
    labor contractions: "ahhhhh owowow, that's not so fun" lol

Generally, you can tell ;) BH will also be (generally speaking) irregular, mostly painless, may come and go, do not intensify with time, and may change/go away if you start moving. Labor contractions (generally speaking) are/become regular, usually hurt, come and don't go away with a change in position etc, and definitely intensify with time, becoming closer together the farther along in the labor process you are.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It sounds like braxton hicks, if they become painful and more regular then it's contractions.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010