Dentist

So today I went to my WIC appointment and the nurse says I need to take my 2.5 old daughter to the dentist, and that she should of been there since she had her first took. I freakin b/c I know she will flip out for sure if a dentist tries to look into her mouth. She barely lets me brush/ look into her mouth. Is it a necessity to take your 2 yr old to the dentist?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I called my dentist to ask him this question. He told me that unless I saw any problems (such as cavities) that he usually waits til the child is at least 4 for a first dentist appointment. Some people will tell you to go when they get their first tooth, others will tell you to wait til your child can sit and let the dentist brush her teeth. I took my 2.5 year old bc I was worried about one of her back molars. She did very well, but each child is different. Everything turned out fine, though. I would call your dentist and see what they recommend. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My dentist said five.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well I noticed today that my daughters front tooth has a very small chip on it, think I should take her?
    Trishy7

Comment by Trishy7 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If it is not bothering her, she is brushing well before bed, and there is no color to the chip, I wouldn't worry about it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call a dentist and ask just to be sure as I am not a professional.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• MOST dentist will not see them till at leaste 2! I am taking my 2 1/2 yr old for the first time in like 2 weeks. ALL my kids went at 2. I hate how the doctor says that at all their check ups at 12mos and on BUT I told them the dentist won't see her till 2!!!!! SOme dentist won't see them till older......but I think they should go at 2 and on to get use to it. SO I be sure to find one that would see them at 2. They go to a pediatric dentist and all my kids did awesome at 2 and love going.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was told to start taking at 6 months and then take every 6 months from there. We did our first visit at 11 months because we couldn't get in. They made it super fun and silly for him and he had a pretty good time. He cried for a second while they looked, but then they gave him a bag of goodies and he was better. They try to make a habit of going a lot so they dont get scared. If you make it seem like she should freak, she probably will. They gave me a list prior to the visit, like saying they are going to count her teeth not examine, they are going to tickle her teeth not clean, they are going to take pictures of her teeth not x-ray, etc. They did not do all those things his first visit, but the list of wordings was pretty cool.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 10:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was told that a child should see a dentist as soon as they turn 12 months old. I had a hard time trying to find a dental office that took kids so young but with alot of effort I found one that took my insurance. It was futher away from home than i would have liked but I called and made the appointment. My daughter hated this. She screamed and cried the whole time but when she was done she got a toy. (which she was happy about) Than I got this flyer in the mail and it was for a new kids dental office being opened closer to where I live so I switched. My daughter is 2 and half and she has been to the dentist 3 times every 6 months. By the 3rd visit she was acting better. The dentist told me she has very beautiful teeth and that I have been doing a great job taking care of her teeth. That always makes you feel good. If you can find a dentist that will take your child I say go for it.
    lyricsmommy08

Answer by lyricsmommy08 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was told by my pedi and dentist to take him in by 12 months. I also know The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends the same. I took him at 12 months and he has another appointment at 18 months :) He didnt mind at all, and he fights me on the teeth brushing sometimes. I think its cause it was someone new he was ok with it :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Call the dentist and ask him whether he thinks you should bring her in. He's the professional.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010