4 month diarrhea?????? is it normal????

ok so my son brendan is 18 months, and he has had watery diarrhea since the end of july. I have taken him to the dr and the first one took stool samples and told me he was fine, the second one thought he might have gotten a hold of bad water since we just got back from a trip to texas in july, the dr gave him anitbiotics which did nuthing, he still has diarrhea, its been constant and never changing, i make him drink alot through out the day to make sure he doesnt get dehydrated but i dont know what else to do, I have another dr app for him on the 6th and im scared they wont find anything , i mean what could explain this? and if there isnt anything wrong with him then why does he still have diarrhea? what do i do if this one cant find anything? do i take him to another? what if he finds something completely horrible .... i just dont know, Im a single mom and this is really getting to me

brendans_mom527

Asked by brendans_mom527 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you should change the formula/milk he drinks, and try changing the foods??
    You should try a baby gastro dr.
    I went to one after all my daughters peditricians couldn't fine anything wrong with her constipation.
    Turned out it was the milk she was drinking.
    Good luck ;)
    xxxo Crystal
    shadysyrup313

Answer by shadysyrup313 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I just came back from the doctor with my daughter today with the same issue. She has had it for about 4 weeks. All test negative for bacteria and parasites. Doctor suggested lots of carbs (rice, pasta, bread) with no juices especially citrus. AND cut out dairy (especially milk) for a few days. If the stool hardens, slowly introduce the regular foods, with dairy last. Children have a harder time digesting dairy. (My daughters doctor is saying all of this to me). So we are going to try that over the next few days to see if there are changes. RIght now she is drinking Gatorage (orange flavor) and not complaining about it. It could be the dairy products. Just try and see.
    Flygirljoi

Answer by Flygirljoi at 1:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Diarrhea is the most severe form of constipation caused by a complete blockage in the lower intestine. Liquids only will come through while solids are retained. The body must be cleansed as quickly as possible or diarrhea will go into dysentery.

Diarrhea has a number of causes: too much fruit, digestive upset, stressful emotion. It may be the body ridding itself of toxins. It is the most severe form of constipation and should be dealt with immediately. Serious

Diarrhea in Children: Should the diarrhea be a more serious nature, keep the child on nothing but teas for six, twelve or twenty-four hours or more, depending on the age of the child. The following herbs are suitable for this purpose: red raspberry, yarrow, oak bark, bayberry bark, sage (garden), mullein, marshmallow, nettle, slippery elm, strawberry leaves, ginger, plantain.

jennapowell

Answer by jennapowell at 2:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Diet can have a big influence. Try backing off fruits and sugary juices if you haven't arleady. Also, at the pharmacy (it's OTC but behind the counter) you can get Florastor Kids. It's got yeast bacteria to help regulate the intestines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• lactose intolerance can cuase it too. or other food alergies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Might be a milk protein allergy (not lactose) CHECK INTO IT
    artmomma

Answer by artmomma at 8:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Hi there. I'm not sure what could be making him have it for that long! But, I would be worried that he might get dehydrated. Thats what happened to my nephew. Thats not a good thing at all! I would take him back to the doctor. Maybe a different doctor. It never hurts to get a second opinion! Hope you get it figure at! ~Stacey~
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You should try bannas and biscuits those are suppose to help with diarreha .Talk to your doc about a milk allergy or rotovirus . A friend of mines daughter had both and she had diarreha forever .good luck
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 9:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Go to Wal-mart and buy Culturelle. This is wonderful for tummy upsets. My daughter takes it everyday.

Also, make sure by going to a pediatric gastroenterologist. I am sure there is nothing horrible going on, but poor little fellow must be miserable.

Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 10:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2008