4 month diarrhea?????? is it normal????

ok so my son brendan is 18 months, and he has had watery diarrhea since the end of july. I have taken him to the dr and the first one took stool samples and told me he was fine, the second one thought he might have gotten a hold of bad water since we just got back from a trip to texas in july, the dr gave him anitbiotics which did nuthing, he still has diarrhea, its been constant and never changing, i make him drink alot through out the day to make sure he doesnt get dehydrated but i dont know what else to do, I have another dr app for him on the 6th and im scared they wont find anything , i mean what could explain this? and if there isnt anything wrong with him then why does he still have diarrhea? what do i do if this one cant find anything? do i take him to another? what if he finds something completely horrible .... i just dont know, Im a single mom and this is really getting to me

brendans_mom527

Asked by brendans_mom527 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• food allergy or intolerance perhaps....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I agree with PP, my daughter developed a lactose sensitivity around 20 months. She had been BF the first year, and then formula after that -- suddenly she had the runs for 2+ weeks. I took her off formula, gave her pedialite for 8 hours then did the B.R.A.T diet for two days. (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) Giving her tummy and intestines time to settle down. I slowly reintroduced gentle foods and tested diary with her carefully. She can have a little, not a lot. Maybe you just need to see if you can determine if something in his diet is doing it? Take everything away and slowly reintroduce them to see if you can tell whats doing it?
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I agree...my girls can't have more than one glass of milk (2%) a day or else they have bad gas and diahrea. Try giving him a banana everyday and see if that helps. We have to do that if the girls drink to much milk in a day. We've also done the BRAT diet to see what was causing there diahrea and found out it was the milk. They don't have diahrea anymore, but they still don't have solid poopys everyday, either. We also have to watch how much yogurt they eat (they LOVE it), and make sure it's lowfat and not whole milk yogurt or else they get runny poops again, and we have to shovel bananas down them. We also use oatmeal to thicken it back up, too. Good luck, and ask your doctor about food allergies when you go to your appt.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 2:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know in the other post with the same question, the OP said that she tried to take out milk and had no change.... there are other food allergies/intolerance that can do this as well ex: wheat.

When you go to the dr discuss all possibilities with him/her including food allergies/intolerance....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The first thing to do is to keep a log of the time of day he is eating and what he eats and whether it is worse than the previous bowl movement. That is the first thing to do. Then you can give that to the doctor to rule out any allergies to foods. But, dont be too alarmed. Food alergies are common. It may take a couple more doctors but if you stay on top of what he eats, when, where in a daily log this will start the ball rolling. Also be on the alert for irritability in your son as well that would have alot to do with it. Best of luck
    DiyDiva

Answer by DiyDiva at 10:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2008