Does my drivers license have to have my current address on it when I go vote?

After leaving my fiance, I moved from Durham, NC to Raleigh, NC to live with my mother. I registered to vote using my mothers address, but my drivers license has my previous address on it. It doesnt expire until 2013, so I was wondering, does it have to have my current address on it?

This is my first time voting.. so please, if this is a stupid question, I apologize!!

BEXi

Asked by BEXi at 12:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• NO it is not stupid. I wondered the SAME thing while I was in line to vote (talk about timing!) But the answer is you CAN still vote with your previous address I did. I live in Georgia so hopefully it's the same everwhere or a lot of people will not be able to vote....LOL
    novice2008

Answer by novice2008 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You are supposed to "update" your license when ever you move. Most states give you a time limit to do this even though it may not be expiered. Your address is supposed to be the same or you can not register in the county that you now live in. Don't know how they do it in Georgia but you are not able to every where else. Otherwise you could vote multiple times throught your state. Call up the county and ask they would know for sure.
    meagan1

Answer by meagan1 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You'll have to update your license so that the address you registered as and your license match. I think most places require you to update that info 30 days after moving anyway (I could be wrong about the time limit). Don't take any chances and miss out on your oppotunity to vote!
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 3:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I agree with msmoody. Most states you do have to have your license updated within 30 days. I'm not sure on teh voting thing, you could always contact your local court house and ask :)
    cass_pick

Answer by cass_pick at 11:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2008