childhood religion?

Do you still practice the religion that you were raised in? I was just curious how many people change from the religion that they raised with in childhood. Even if it was just a difference in the branch of christianity. Was there a reason you did it... or did it just feel right?

justduckie_mom

Asked by justduckie_mom at 11:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• no, my mom attempted to raise me as a Methodist but it never felt right to me at all her religion wasnt the same as what I believed in my own heart. because of her and a few other people I had to lie and pretend that I wasn't what I am now. I was in what my faith calls the broom closet for a very very long time just so I wouldn't have my mom and other people in my family treat me like shit, verbally/emotionally abuse me and I had my mom threaten to physically abuse me if I wasn't just like her. I am no longer in that damned broom closet and I will never go back into it again. I am a proud Wiccan-Witch and I will not change myself or what I believe just to make the christian people in my family happy. I would rather them hate me for who/what I am then love me for who/what I am not.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 1:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No I don't. I grew up and got smarter.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was raised in a Christian family, but I have always been an atheist.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was raised in a (pretty liberal/progressive) Christian home, and I'm still Christian - Christian Universalist.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was Taught to be Christian (JW) - At heart, I was never Christian. I was raised to be Christian, however my beliefs, my heart - always Pagan. So I don't see it as leaving or converting away from Christianity, because at heart I was never there... I just see it as being able to be open and honest about who I always was and what I always believed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If someone asked me what religion I was I would still say Lutheran (Christian) but I'm not very religiously dedicated for a few personal reasons. When I do attend church, I attend a Lutheran Church where my son was baptized.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was raised Catholic - 12yrs of private schooling even. I still attend mass every week, I just attended 2 of the 3 evening services for the 40 Hours Celebration. My son is 10, in the 4th grade in the same private school I attended, and he attends mass weekly at school and every sunday with me, so he goes 2x a week.

Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was raised in the Lutheran religion... I am now a Wiccan-Witch.
    Christianity just did not feel nor did it fit me or what I believe ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I was raised nominally Christian, in the sense that we celebrated Christian holidays and I knew the basic tenets of Christianity as a child. We did go to church/Sunday school until I was about five or six, at which point a new minister took over and my parents didn't like his sermons so rather than search out another church we simply stopped going. As an adult I practice Buddhism. I still have an interest in some unconventional, gnostic styles of Christianity, but I simply don't meet the criteria that most Christians place on Christianity- I don't think I ever really did, even as a child my idea of God was very pantheistic and as I started actively investigating Christianity in my teens I found that I just didn't meet the 'entrance criteria' to call myself Christian, if that makes any sense.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Baptized roman catholic. Went to cath school. Didn't care for it. Still don't.
    My children are not baptized. They can make that decision when they
    are old enough. And when they do I will go with them on a quest for
    the right religion for them. I mean do we really have to be baptized as babies?
    Jesus was 30 something when he was baptized, so....
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010