do you believe that the cause of women's suffrage was unpatriotic?

I think that lately some tend to call any disagreement with the government unpatriotic. Whe the truth is there is nothing patriotic about blindly following our elected officials. watch this video and share your opinions. I hate that women had to go through this but I love the end result. Our RIGHT TO VOTE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqnjwKW7gA

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 12:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Chica I love that movie!!! It really reminds us of how far we have come. And I think it is our patriotic duty to question the government. If these women did not question the politicians then where would we be now. I see the difference in questioning the government rather than our beloved troops. It is unpatriotic to attack the troops that are fighting for our rights every day. I proudly served myself and my husband is in the air force reserves and is in Iraq now.
    Thank you for the video
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Few believed that suffragists would dare picket a wartime president, let alone use the war in their written censures, calling him "Kaiser Wilson." Many saw the suffragists' wartime protests as unpatriotic, and the sentinels, including Alice Paul, were attacked by angry mobs. The picketers began to be arrested on the trumped up charge of "obstructing traffic," and were jailed when they refused to pay the imposed fine.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The arrested suffragists were sent to Occoquan Workhouse, a prison in Virginia. ..demanded to be treated as political prisoners and staged hunger strikes. Their demands were met with brutality as suffragists, including frail, older women, were beaten, pushed and thrown into cold, unsanitary, and rat-infested cells. Arrests continued and conditions at the prison deteriorated. For staging hunger strikes, Paul and several other suffragists were forcibly fed in a tortuous method.
    food for thought..
    goodnight ladies
    ny.chica

• Wow, what is it lately with people pretending to ask a question just so they can preach their viewpoint? Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with your point, but it wasn't a real question, now was it? There are better forums for a diatribe that the Q&A, actually.

And for the record, there is not a single ounce of patriotism in blindly following the increasingly corrupt government, particularly when they are becoming more and more removed from what the vision of democracy was for this country. If you ask me, it takes a TRUE patriot to question the government and demand that they live up to their collective word.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• jespeach.......Wow, what is it lately with people pretending to ask a question just so they can preach their viewpoint? Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with your point, but it wasn't a real question, now was it? There are better forums for a diatribe that the Q&A, actually.

excuse you but I'm not preaching anything. there has being many posts here about patriotism and this and taht not being patriotic. there has aslo being alot of stuff said in the media by elected officials about what states are more patriotic than others and so on.
    continues
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• continues
    and yes it was a question. and it is still a question and I would like opinions. I said nothing about any political parties just a question about what it is consider unpatriotic. if you didn't like the question you didn't need to answer. there is no need to be rude. I almost gave up on this forum but then I saw that video and decided to get answers from women. not preaching anything ASKING A QUESTION. and ofcourse is your right wether or not to answer it.
    ny.chica

• I believe that it was a dynamic tribute to everything this country is about. (or supposed to be about anyway)
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't think it's unpatriotic to question the government, for the government should answer to the people. However, I do think it's unpatriotic to attack those who serve this country, dedicating (and risking) their lives to defend the constitution of this country (even if that means going to war, because the elected officials - who have been chosen by the people to reflect the will of the people) is unpatriotic. If someone has a problem with the military, take it up with the politicians - they make policy, the military dies enforcing it. Just like the police enforce the laws in your cities, but they aren't the ones who write them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• For example, when women were fighting for the right to vote, they took the fight up with politicians who made policy, and took their cause to the people who elected said politicians. They didn't attack the people who ran the polling stations, accusing them of being unpatriotic because they enforced the law of the land and didn't allow women to vote.

And by the way, my great grandmother, who died when she was almost 100 and I was a grown woman and mother myself, was a Suffragette, though not a historically well known one. (She also taught in a 1 room school house after defying her dad to get an education and did a lot of other great things.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• sailorwifenmom --I don't think it's unpatriotic to question the government, for the government should answer to the people. However, I do think it's unpatriotic to attack those who serve this country, dedicating (and risking) their lives to defend the constitution of this country

I agree with you an dI'm so glad that you pointed the difference between the 2. there is a big difference in 1-questioning the government and not following our elected officials blindly and 2-attacking our troops.
    I wanted a discussion among women of a topic taht interest women. thanks to women like your grandma we now have the right to vote.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2008