Do you think it's necessary for children to go to college to get a good career in this economy?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 11:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Certainly going to be easier work for more money!
    Daisyj22

Answer by Daisyj22 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• A degree is nothing but an expensive piece of paper.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it depends on what they go to school for. Right now, in this economy, vocational/technical colleges and training is doing better than going to a 4 year university and getting a degreee in sociology, English, etc. However, I would never discourage my child from doing what he wanted to do.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I still think it's important. All my friends from HS who graduated on time with their BAs have spent the last 2 years looking for work with no luck. I don't have my degree yet but still have a decent job, so it depends, but I still think a degree is important to have because not all jobs require a degree but there isn't a job you can't get because you DO have one.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, I believe it is. With jobs dwindling down more and more each day, your resume has to beat out a hundred others. With no degree you can expect a minimum wage job (except in RARE occasions). Believe me, it is very difficult to make a living supporting a family on minimum wage...
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No.......my so makes over six figures w no degree. six yrs w the right company now he wrks from home has freedom and greta vacation time benefits and so on. He chose 6 yrs of hard labor over 4 to 6 yrs of mentally exhausting school work. Plus He has no student loans to pay back!
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 11:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• College is not a guarantee of good employment, let alone a career. I think they would be better served learning a trade, or even going to a 2-year program. Learn how to landscape, work on cars, do hair, carpentry, etc. Not a bad idea. In the end it's an honest day's work.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do agree it would good for my son to go to college so he can have a good career for this economy, but that's if he choices too. I will not decide or tell him what to do with his life. when he gets older I'll let him decide and I will support him all the way. If my son choices the Military life cause my ex was in the Airforce then I'll stand by him or if he choices college life that fine too. I thinks kids should have choices and all we have to do as parents is to show the right path of life and pray that our kids don't run into bad influences. And Support them.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think that any student who goes to a four year college and takes on student loans to get their education, needs to know that just b/c they have this degree, it dont mean nothing in the real world right now. You can have a 4 yr degree and a bunch of student loans and not be able to find work, just as well as any young adult. You might possibly end up flipping burgers at the local stand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, I still think a degree of some kind is worth it, even if it's online. And in this economy, grants and free college money is abundant.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 11:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010