Why are the Duggars not allowed to dance?

I was just watching an episode where they went to a school open day assembly and all the students started dancing and the Duggars were just staring. Then a box that said "The Duggars, as a family rule, do not dance" popped out on the screen.
Why is that? Does it have to do with Christianity?

Isn't that taking someone's right to express themselves away?

Don't get me wrong, I think Michelle Duggar is a very good mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• thats just weird!!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• There are a few independent Baptist churches (along with a few other churches) that don't permit dancing.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They are nuts to have so many kids.....that womans vag has to be like a waterslide by now.
    Daisyj22

Answer by Daisyj22 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They're weird.
    evie-1006

Answer by evie-1006 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Jim Bob Duggar: And we've just seen benefits for our family doing that. As far as dancing, something that we believe—it's a personal conviction—is that a lot of times, when a guy sees a girl dance, it really can be defrauding to a guy, especially if they're dressed immodestly. The definition of defrauding would be building up sensual desires that you cannot rightfully fulfill. Now, if my wife and I want to dance privately or something, in our room... Between a husband and wife is fine.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Celebrities/2009/10/Michelle-and-Jim-Bob-Duggar.aspx?p=9
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks Desi. wow what would they do if one of their girls got pregnant outside of wedlock, I don't even wanna think about!
    evie-1006

Answer by evie-1006 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• ya, its usually the women defrauding the men in that family...... what about men who defraud women?
    ariesp19

Answer by ariesp19 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's a religious conviction- some denominations of Christianity do not permit dancing.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Evie,

They would prabably blame themselves for not letting the kid dance and get it out of her system. Not allowed to dance, that's crazy!! My 5yo loves to dance and it's a healthy body reaction to music. Why would I take that away from her when it's such a great thing!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 11:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You're welcome. I had seen that episode as well. Or I had seen the interview, but I knew they had explained why they believe that way.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010