what would you do if you knew for a fact that some parents were smoking pot right in the same room as their 4 month old baby???

these parents are my little brother and his wife. their baby and her stuff (diaper bad, clothing, carseat) have always smelled like stale smoke and neither of the parents smoke cigs, and today my dad actually caught them smoking a blunt with their baby just laying on the floor in her play gym thing right in front of them. would you take the baby and leave? would you call the police? would you let them take care of their baby and not interfere? im just curious, we all arent sure what to do exactly..... (also pretty sure this is a daily if not multiple times a day occurance)

riNalismama

Asked by riNalismama at 11:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would call the cops and CPS. That child should not be around that. Just make sure the call is anon. Because it is family.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree, please please report this.
    evie-1006

Answer by evie-1006 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would call CPS on them. They are endangering that child!
    Daisyj22

Answer by Daisyj22 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i would call the cops& cps, im sorry but how could u not have tried to put a stop to this already?
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If your family really wants to get involved cathch them doing it again and grab the baby call the police and cps and have a report filed right then. If they take them in and drug test them than it will be an easy case. Anonomous calls dont provide proof and dnt get the attention as quickly. I just went through this w my sis in law. GL
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 11:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you are able to take the child I would go over and tell them that I was taking the child and they needed to go to rehab, if they did not agree, (which in most cases would be the situation), I would TELL them that I was going to report them and call CPS. I would NOT do this anon because they are family, and I don't think it is OK to sneak behind families back, I think family is supposed to be upfront and honest even if it is "the ugly truth". This way you can tell them that when CPS comes at least you know they will be taken care of, they will put the children with family first anyway, at least that is what they do here.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• well my dad just left his house after this and said we (my sisters and i) need to stay out of it. but how could we!!! my stepsister went over there to get the baby and take her from them and they need thats what she was doing and wouldnt answer the door. this was at like 9pm, we dont think the cops would do much so waiting until morning to call cps. but really scared about it. its my baby brother and id hate for his little daughter to be taken away but its so sad what they are doing to her! we just kind of feel like this has probably been going on for awhile now so they are just going to have to deal with cps. but what do you ladies think, what exactly will they do? go investigate right away and if they find signs of drug use then take away the baby immeadiatly?? how does it work?? where does the baby go?
    riNalismama

Comment by riNalismama (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Depending on your state, if you call and you are family who is willing to report this they will investigate first, they will go over and ask questions and things. If they determine the situation is unfit then they will take the baby however if any family is willing to take the child they would be placed with them first. If not then they would go to a temp. foster care home, until the parents can prove to a judge that they are suitable parents.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• ok. we are in ohio, and would hate for her to go into foster care and my sisters and i are all willing to take her if that happens. its just so sad.
    riNalismama

Comment by riNalismama (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• calls CPS and tell them you will take the child if she is taken out of the home..all states prefer family over fostercare
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010