My 21month old is starting to hit me, what can i do to stop him, its getting worse!

Idk what im doing wrong, my 21month ds is starting to hit me, everytime i get after him or tell him no he strikes at me, earlier i told him no because he was trying to poke a hole in the wall, next thing i know i got hit w/my sunglasses on my head, i tried spanking him but that doesnt work, he tries to slap my hands back, my df is fed up w/it as well, are we doing something wrong, pls anyone else having this problem? what can i do to make it stop, its getting worse?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Firmly tell him no and sit him in time out.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm right there with you. I don't hit back, because I don't think that hitting teaches not to hit, plus like your son he just hits back too lol. I usually grab his hands, make him look me in the eye and say "No! We don't hit!" and if he does it again he sits in time out. I can't tell you if it's working or not but I'm at a loss for any other ideas too. I'm hoping it's just a phase while he learns to better express him emotions and when he's a bit older he'll better understand that it's wrong to hit people and stop doing it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• IDK bc timeout sure does not work for mine!
    Daisyj22

Answer by Daisyj22 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Now understand I am not against spanking but it seems to me that your method of discipline is not working because you are basically hitting him when he hits you. See?

Here is what I would do. If he tries to hit you or makes a swing at you, grab his hands, Hold them still and tell him "NO!" "We do not hit".

Since your natural reaction is going to be to spank or slap at his hands you are going to have to work hard at maintaining your cool and under no circumstances hit him.

And if other people discipline your son, they need to do the same thing. Consistency!!!!!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Grab hands , put on stern face(very important) and say NO. Then say we have to be nice! And start playing with him, and he will smack your face again and say NO( with the face) and say we have to be nice. Over and over and then youlll pull out your hair. They will get it. Soon when they want to get into something and you catch then lookin to see if your lookin just give that stern face and then follow with NO, if the face isn't enough. Mine youngest is 22 month. And I tell you he knows when and where the corner is. He gets 1 min. W min per year age of child.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I dont have an answer but wanted to elt you know I am in the same boat with my 13 month old son. He hits me for anything he doesn't like and tries to break my glasses. I just try to be as acalm as possible and try to ignore him hoping fi he doesnt get a rise out of me it will stop being fun. I have a ton of brusies though! That kid is strong
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 10:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Be consistent with your punishments. Tell him no firmly and put him in timeout EVERY time, no warnings. Do it without fail, and he will learn!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010