What do you think of spanking if that it is the only way the child understands to behave? I don't mean to hurt the child but to just let him know that, for example, going out into the street is dangerous.

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 11:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• You put this in babies, so I would assume you are talking about babies. I would NEVER spank a baby.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am not opposed to spanking a child by any means but I would never say that its the only way a child understands behavior correction.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I meant to put it into "Toddlers". Also, I meant after you exhausted every other possibility of behavior correction - time out in a chair, etc.
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't like to spank my child b/c I'm afraid someone would report me for hitting my child. I do believe that its okay to pop their little hand and tell them no and discussing to them how dangerous it was for them to walk into the street without holding mommy or daddy hand. And something bad could have happen too u. When my son did that he did get pop on the hand and he got told that, but if they cause a tratrum i put my son in the corner with his face in the corner with hands behind his back and have him stand in their until his time he's up and he has to tell me what he did and that he would not do it again.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My sister has 4 kids, and she is really good at disciplining her kids...and none of them are spanked. Spanking is just a convenient way to get a child to stop doing an undesirable behavior...but it doesn't teach anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Toddlers do not have impulse control. If you can not trust a child not to run into the street then you simply must be extra dilligent in carrying them, slinging or holding their hand. They can never be unsupervised fat all period. Spankings won't teach them not to run into the street, it teaches them to not get caught running into the street. Physical punishment is never necessary.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think at a certain age, a spanking goes a long way, and at a certain age it will not work. I spanked my 3 yr old toddler a few times. Spanking is not the same as abusing... I also feel that every child has a different personality and you'll know what works.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 1:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No, there are better ways. Removing and watching closer.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2010