Anyone ever have a day when they wish they weren't Mom?

I Love my Daughter with all my heart and until now I've never had a night like this. I want nothing to do with her. She has been sleeping for hours and I still feel this way. Usually if she does something naughty or annoying - she does something adorable avout 2 minutes later, so I'm over it (DD is almost 2). ut after several nights of late or interupted sleep and her fighting me on eating her dinner (which was jusr chicken strips and tatertots - usually one of her favorite things) I don't know what to do. Please, no bashing - I just need to hear I am not alone.

NHRachel

Asked by NHRachel at 11:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's good, then, that it's not common that you feel that way. You are probably just sleep deprived and worn out! Every Mommy needs time away from the kiddos and that's nothing to feel ashamed about. :)
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have had days like this. I think we just get so overworked and stressed out that we just need a break. I totally love my children too. I have a 13 month old and and 16 day old. I love being around them, but there are times when I just need a break. My hubby takes over for me when he is around and I let him know how I feel. Don't think that it's a bad thing, its totally understandable. We just need "me" time sometimes, and I don't see anything bad about that.
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• There have been times I've wished I didn't have the responsibilities of being a mom - like when I'm dead tired but I have to get up. And with a 2 year old there are plenty of times that he gets into everything or starts his tantrums and it gets on my nerves and I want to scream and rip my hair out, but even thought all that I never wish I weren't a mom and I would never give up on him. I think it's normal to feel what you are feeling but when those times come it usually means you need a mommy break. Doesn't mean you aren't a mommy or even that you don't want to me a mommy it's just that for even just an hour or so you can just RELAX. It is okay to just want to take a break!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• oh yeah. mostly it's nights (hot dates? yeah right. no sitter wants to chill on my couch all night.) or at about 3 pm, when i am confused every day as to why someone who is exhausted REFUSES to sleep. wtf? right!? i WISH someone would tell me to take a nap. you're so not alone.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• every single night around seven pm, for at least twenty minutes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't say that I have ever had a day that I wasn't mom, but I wished that I would have done a few things differently before becoming a mom. And I have had days where I wished that my son was "normal", not just for my sake and sanity but of his as well. I understand where you are coming from though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've thought about it...... and im not sayin nothin neg BUT really unless i just wanted to sleep ive never thought about not being a mom and even when i want to be alone i dont wish i wasnt a mommy i just wish they could change their own diapers and cook their own food lol BUT i totally understand......
    XpectTwins92808

Answer by XpectTwins92808 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thank you all and no it's not that I don't want to be a Mommy - I've waited a long time to get to be the Momma! But yes - I need a break. I just don't want to be responsible for her right now (and her Dad stepped up and did take care of her tonight). I guess I am just trying to feel better because tomorrow is one of the days I get to be a SAHM (I work part time) and I am worried. I don't want to wake up feeling this way - and I'm not sure what to do.
    NHRachel

Comment by NHRachel (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• oh just wait til the teenage years then you miss these days and to answer the question, yes I have come across the way you feel a few times in my 23 yrs of being a mom
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Sleep deprivation can do that to you. Trust me. I had two kids with colic. There are some times I wish I'd done things before I had kids. I started at 18. So I didn't have that awesome 21st birthday, and I didn't get to go out with all my friends. I lost friends because I was the only one who had a kid. The times when I really wished I wasn't a Mom is just when all three of my kids are crying, screaming, fighting, breaking things, etc. DH isn't one to take the kids and do any thing. I have them all the time and if I point out that I'd like help he gripes. Guess I had these kids by immaculate conception...Don't feel bad. If you think it's serious, talk to your doctor about anxiety meds.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2010