I need some advice as a christian mom, my 8 year old son is not wanting to do home school work, spanking is not working. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all I am going to warn you that you are going to get people saying mean things because you said you spank your child so look out. I have raised 4 kids and what works best for me is is taking things away from them that mean the most to them. Then after a week of behaving I give them back. It has always worked for me. If taking one thing doesn't work I just keep taking till everything they play with is gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I use the same tactic as anon 12:48, my son gets 1 hour of game time (xbox) a day. If his homework and chores are not completed (correctly) he loses that hour. Let me tell you that this works! Find whatever it is that your son cherishes and make him earn the right to it.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My advice as a homeschool mom is to figure out a way to get him interested in the school work. I don't know what your situation is or what curriculum your using but I think that's what I would try to figure out. Such as, if your using Houghton Mifflin readers, to instead take him to the library to pick out his own story, and then adjust the questions or writing assignment at the end to match the story he just read. My thing is that you want to instill into him a life long love of learning, and not make it a tedious. I tried Saxon math on my 1st grade daughter last year and ended up getting Calverts math this year because Saxon bores the younger students to tears, and Calverts is colorful and not as repetitive.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Cont.

As Christians, we want our children to LOVE God because of all the wonderful things he's done for us and the promises he made to us, not because they're scared of god and think their bad people who are going to burn in hell forever if they don't right?

IMO, you should approach education the same way you approach learning about God.

As for disapline, I agree with the other ladies, I take away privledges when needed and only spank when they do something dangerous and I need to get across a stronger message.

Lornamay

• Have you tried sitting down with him while he's doing homework, so that he has help available if he gets frustrated?.....my guess is no since you are coming back and spanking him for not having it done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally anti-spanking, but I don't think it should be a convience factor for the parent as it seems to be in this case. Threats and punishments should not be a replacement for giving your child the time and attention they need in order to be successful.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I'm not sure what being Christian has to do with this.

I expalin to mine that we all have to do things we don't want to. That's life. I don't like doing dishes, but I do them anyway. And then she is not allowed to watch tv, play, have computer time, or anything else fun until she does it. How long it takes is up to her and that determines how much free time she has for fun stuff later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Give John Rosemond's "Parent Power!" a try, it doesn't shake the ugly stick at you for spanking (which I do aswell) but instead has stress-free ways to parenting and I think might be just what you need! Check it out at a library if you don't want to buy it, it's seperated by age group so it can specifically target problems, but the first chapter is terrific! If nothing else is working, what do you have to lose, this has worked wonderfully for my family and myself!
    bekabunnie

Answer by bekabunnie at 11:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Homeschool doesn't have to be like 'school'- your son shouldn't be sitting in a desk- if he wants to lay on the floor, on a couch, in the grass. He can learn math at the grocery store, about biology catching spiders and drawing them in notebooks...

Check out Cindy Rushton and Charlotte Mason...

Go with what he is interested in.  If he is curious about basketball, take him to the library, and get some books on famous players, and the math involved in making a basket, do crafts with basketball themes, play basketball with him, make sure he is loved. Learning will come...

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• you are lucky that you have the ability to home school your child. If it was e I would talk with him and find out what it was that made him not want to do the work. Stay calm about it. Try to get him involved in the lesson plans. Do a lot of 'field trips' Let him help pick where to go. Include fun projects and play times between the necessary 'book work' Let him know that when the tedius stuff is done you will be doing something or going somewhere fun for a little while. You are lucky he is lucky. School is what the two of you make it to be. My only other question would be if he has every been tested for dyslexia it's more common than you think and could make a child not want to do book or paper work. Just a thought.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Every one gave good advice just remember too take everything to god in prayer he will give you what you need for the son you are bless too have i will pray that all will go well.
    Anonymous