My 4 month old doesnt sleep all night long any advice?

Wakes up and wants to play most the time..

dgough17

Asked by dgough17 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I try that but she just screams and screams. I have let her scream before for 7 minutes and she doesnt calm down. I dont talk to her (which is hard) lol
    dgough17

Comment by dgough17 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My dd didn't sleep through the night until she was 8.5 months old.

When you dd wakes up, give her a feeding and a change, but don't turn on the lights. Don't engage in conversation. When you are done, quietly place her back in the crib.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Hold her until she is almost asleep, then lay her back in the crib. I know a lot of moms will tell you that it's not a good idea, but I don't think it's a good idea to let a baby cry for extended periods of time. Heck, my dd is 2 and I STILL hold her before she goes to bed! She is perfectly capable of falling asleep on her own, but I enjoy the bonding.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I do that I dont care I rock her and right before she is alseep I put her in her crib. My bad habit is putting her in bed with me in the middle of the night. But she gets up 2-3 times a night.
    dgough17

Comment by dgough17 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Do you try feeding her when she wakes up? My 4 month old will wake up around 3 am. I attach him to the boob, and he's back to sleep until 8 am.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes I do she wakes up at about 12 to about 430 then I am so sleepy i put her in bed with me lol And then she sleeps till 8 just with me
    dgough17

Comment by dgough17 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. night parenting is part of the mommy gig.. FYI 5 hours is considered a "sleep through" . There is nothing wrong with cosleeping safely; NOT a bad habit. It's how babies around the world sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• At 4 months it is normal for a child to wake up at night. The majority of 4 month olds will NOT sleep through the night. At that age they NEED nutrition throughout the day AND night. The timing 12, 430, 8 are wonderful!!! Just remember sleep is a developmental stage reached in each child's own time so do not compare your child's sleeping habits with others and pushing can be counterproductive. Good Luck and hang in there sleep will come eventually. You can make it!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Patience. It's normal. It's NOT common for them to sleep all night. Keep things dark and quiet and business like and DO NOT play. Feed, change, put down. She will get the idea. Eventually.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• so she might not be sleeping because she is teething and I dont play with her when she gets up alot of times she just wants to cuddle and doesnt want to be put back down, I will usaully just put her in bed with me and nurse her and she falls asleep next to me.
    dgough17

Comment by dgough17 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010