thrush with baby and breast help

i took my 12 month old daughter to the doctor for thrush he gave her nystastin and i forgot to tell him i was breastfeeding so i didnt get anything for it but just today i raelized i couldnt breastfeed my daughter outta my one boob its in soo much pain i dont know what to do. im going back to the doctor tomorrow to get some cream and more medicine for my daughter cause it got worse. i co-sleep so its hard to wash my nipples after everytime she eats. i just need a temporary relief from my engorged thrushed boob until tomorrow please help...

newmommy290

Asked by newmommy290 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nystatin sucks for thrush. It is sugary and thrush thrives off sugar. Gentian violet is the BEST remedy for thrush for both of you. You can get it over the counter, probably will have to order it from the pharmacy though. It works great though. When I had it so bad that it hurt to nurse on one side, I made sure to pump that side (didn't hurt as much to pump) and fed off the other side that didn't hurt so much. Nystatin is a waste of time, at the very least get your dr to prescribe oral diflucan if you don't try the Gentian Violet.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree that nystatin sucks. We went through two courses of it and still had thrush - one treatment of GV and it was totally cleared up. I always recommend GV to new moms if they get thrush.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• where do i get gentian violet É im in alberta canadaÉ can i get it anywhere or is there a special place i need to get it fromÉ
    newmommy290

Comment by newmommy290 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Call the Dr. See if it can be prescribed over the phone. You can cleanse after each even while cosleeping not easy but workable.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010