Do big dogs and little dogs get along?

I have a crazy golden retriever who plays really well with other big dogs, I haven't really seen her with small dogs or cats. I would eventually (like in a year not now!) like to get another dog for her to play with. I've always wanted to get a smaller dog, my favorite breeds are shelties and toy yorkies. Do big dogs accept little dogs just as they would a big dog? I guess my concern is that our golden would play too rough and hurt a toy yorkie. If they are properly introduced would this situation work? Just curious really, we have to move across the country and finish getting our golden trained before we'd even seriously think about getting another dog. Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pets

• When you decide to get one, take your dog with you. If from a shelter, if you pick one use neutral ground to introducethem, and see how they get along. Bring the whole family as well cause everyone needs an input in a new family member. My doggy day CARE has big and small dogs, so the big ones love to play together and the small ones play together. Sometimes  they all try playing together...lol Good luck on your quest!

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 11:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• it depends if you get them both as puppies at the same time then most likely if you have one first and then get another one they might a year later then maybe
    onegoober

Answer by onegoober at 12:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• They should accept each other well, but just like with a baby she might need to be taught to play gently with the smaller dog.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It all depends on the dogs personality. Our vet has a Mastiff that plays with cats, funniest thing to see. Just introduce them slowly so they get to know each other.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I had a huge mastiff when i got my chihuahua puppy... they became best friends. the chihuahua used to sleep on the mastiff. i have found the big dog is usually pretty gentle with the little one and the little one is quick enough to get out of the way if it need to. hope that helps...
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• our dogs do..we have 2 chihuahuas a German shepherd and a boxer..they all get along great..they even get along with our cat

the dogs are my mother in laws and the cat is mine and my hubbys
    Anonymous

• The little dog might be afraid of the golden retriever at first, but it just takes time for them to get used to each other.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think it depends on the dogs personalities. If you have a local dog park, take your dog there and see how she does. We have a frenchie who weighs about 18 lbs and is about a foot tall. She loves, loves, loves the big dog side at the dog park. We've never had a problem with her and the big dogs. They greet each other and play like good buddies.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My boxer and pom were the best of buddies. I don't do any of the "into" stuff, I just bring pets home. We have a mini zoo around here - none of our animals has ever been mean to any of the others. We keep an eye on them the first week or so, but have never had a problem.
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have a pitbull mix and a chihuahua mix that are best of friends. We got them about a week or two within each other both from the West LA pound. It really depends on the dog. My little guy plays really well with small and big dogs.
    NO2LA504

Answer by NO2LA504 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008