I know a 3 yr old boy who can't really talk . He says vroom vroom instead of car, uses hand gestures, and words that sound nothing like the actual word. ( papa is "toctoc") His parents don't seem the least bit concerned..and i guess i am just being nosey, but what do you think the issue could be?

what do you think could be wrong w/ him? his mom also casually mentioned that he did not walk until he was almost 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Health

• my son really did not start talking until 2 1/2. If a pediatrician is not concerned about it perhaps you should not be either. It sounds to me that he is communicating. Kids can't always say things perfectly. And every child develops differently. If it was your child and you had a concern you could take them to speech therapy, but if the parents and doctors are not concerned I would not be either. As far as the walking, I don't know either, again I guess it would be more up to the pediatrician to determine if that is abnormal and what to do about it. Not trying to be rude, but I am not a specialist in this area and I am guessing you are not either. I just know what I have been advised in the past.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Sounds like a developmental delay of some sort. He probably should see a speech therapist. At his age the eval is usually free (paid for by the county or state depending on where you live). They won't have to pay for a therapist either in most areas.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• HIs parents are immigrants and I think it is more like they are not very educated on these issues.
    Anonymous

• He could be hearing impaired, he could have a speech problem, or he could have a developmental delay. I would suggest his parents contacting the local Early Childhood Intervention office. If you don't know where to look-call any HeadStart program. These folks will do free testing and assesments on the child, and will give him services. He is eligible for all that until he is 3 years old, and then can move on to Head Start for more help.
    boysmom67

Answer by boysmom67 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• my son could not talk very well and he had to go to speech up until 3rd grade and now he talks great and it took my neice forever to crawl and walk.
    drgroves

Answer by drgroves at 5:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My brother never smiled until he was 6 months old. He did everything late. He is a very smart though. He was pushed ahead in reading in grade school, got almost all As in HS, participated in several sports and clubs, graduated college in 4 years, and has a beautiful wife and 3 children. Children advance at different paces. Also, if his parents are immigrants, there may be a language barrier. I wouldn't be that concerned at this point.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Possibly a slight hearing problem and perhaps even a speech impediment. My girl is three and she will talk your ear off if you let her.
    Peggy76

Answer by Peggy76 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i know that by the age of 2 they should have a vocab of 20-50 words.. she may want to talk to her pediatrician about it, if he is not worried then it's not to be concerned with but if the doctor finds it different or if his parents start to wonder about it as well, a speach therapist might be someone they want to talk to
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 5:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My step son is four and is autistic. He can say some words but he cannot communicate very well at all. He uses quite a bit of hand gestures to communicate his needs. He is almost five and babbles like a year old with some words.

Some examples of how he talks are

"more please ca-ca-cee Carrie" He struggles to say it and this means more food please Carrie.

all done is "da da"

He only can verbalize a few sentances like the one above and his vocabulary is very limited.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My grandson had problems like that ..the skin under his toungue had grown too far The Dr just snipped it a little and he started talkin better.
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 2:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2008