Need ideas for staying warm this winter...

My SO will not allow me to turn on the central heating until it falls below 40 degrees in the house. It is absurd, I know, but he is adament about this to keep the electricity bill down.

It is turning cold tonight and I am worried how I can keep my toddler warm. I do have one electric heater but obviously it is unsafe to use with a toddler running thru the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• that's crazy! turn on the central heat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Before we had our son my SO was like that. He didn't turn the heater on at all in the winter of 05'
    When my son was born I told my SO he needed to loosen the death grip on his wallet and turn the damn heater on because we'd freeze to death.

Yeah. I can't even tell you how dangerous it is to do something like that, it boarders on willful neglect on his part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I agree, 40 degrees is pretty low to wait with such a little one. I'm a huge fan of blanket sleeper pajamas - my 5 y/o still wears them they're her favorite. Also, cook dinners using your oven as much as possible and cook them a little later, as it will warm up the house some.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• when it comes to keeping your baby warm use the heat....babies are more important than hubby's pocket book getting hit to keep your baby safe, healthy, and warm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think that is a little extreme! My lowest is 68 degrees and to me that's pretty cold! Maybe you can get him to compromise a little. I like the using the oven for cooking comment! There's more than one way to skin a cat!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• turn the central heating  on i think your son is more important then your husband idea of keeping the bill low or he preferred to pay the doc?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Even for an Alaskan who is used to colder weather that is pretty extreme! I think you should talk him into allowing the heat to be on for a few hours at night to warm up the house and knock the moisture out of the air and then turn the heat back down when everyone is on their way to bed. If he disagrees I would go with the cooking in the oven at night idea. I'm not 100% sure but I think a heater is cheaper than an oven, and I know for an absolute fact that an electric heater sucks alot more electric than a regular furnace. To answer your question on how to stay warm, it's my opinion that flannel is the warmest material possible. I buy flannel PJ's and sheets, and if you want really warm, go with flannel sheets and a feather down comforter. I would also let your son sleep with you so you can share body heat. Good luck!

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My in laws keep their house like an ice cube. They wear layers all winter. Get your son some long underwear and warm pajamas. Space heaters are a major fire hazard. Please don't consider those. Electric blankets are safer. There are even the heated pads that go on the bed... Try to work a compromise with your husband. I would say no colder then 60 degrees. Appeal to his frugal side? Offer a trade -- Maybe you can find some other ways to save money to help compensate for the additional cost? I would offer some solutions - coupons for grocery shopping, cooking more, etc...
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Open your curtains during the day and let as much sunshine as possible into your house- you'll be amazed how much this helps. We heat with a wood stove and space heaters and passive solar. At night, cover widows back up, and make sure all the air leaks in your house are sealed. Wait for a crisp day and slowly feel where you suspect. It looks hokey, but painters tape releases without damaging surfaces, and can seal a draft out. We roll up old towels and put them in front of doors- we rent and I am not "improving" their place by fixing all the drafts!! There is a plastic film that you can put on your windows in winter to help retain heat. Drink warm drinks, and wear footie pjs. Kids slept in log cabins in the winter not that long ago- 40 degrees won't kill him. If you have a cat- let them sleep together- helps my chilly daughter.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2008