how far is to far

During the day i babysit for my friends 3 year old daughter. She is very well behaved until her mother gets to my house then it is like she does i complete 180. She gets into things she is not suppose to runs around screaming etc... if i tell her not to do something she ignores me and does it anyway, her mother just lets her do whatever and won't say a word to her about her behavior. Normally i don't mind cleaning up after her but i am now 38 weeks pregnant and my energy level has decreased dramatically. Is it ok for me to discipline her while her mother is here or should i leave it up to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would talk to her mom about it. Tell her your tired and that she needs to make her child mind while she is there. If she still does nothing, than I would correct the kid. The child is acting that way because she knows mommy won't do anything and you have shown her that you won't do anything as long as her mom is there. Treat her the same way you do during the day when her mother is not there. She needs some consistancy and if her mother won't give it to her, than you have every right to while she is in your home.
    Seana1

Answer by Seana1 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The way I see it, your house, your rules. My husband has a friend that has two children. One of them is about 8, but she ripped the pages of out books and dumped boxes of toys and opened the salt packets from restaraunts all over my coffee table. Yeah, I stepped in because her mom acted like she wasn't even there. I would recommend trying to encourage the mother to step in first, but if she won't, then I think it is well within your right to.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I love the phrase "I don't think your mommy would want you to do that!" It will correct the child while getting mom's attention at the same time.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:51 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would treat the child the same in front of mom as when she's just with you. I do it to my 8 yo BIL in front of my MIL all the time. Shoot I do it with any kid at my house with my kids in front of parents or not. It's my house so my rules are followed. I know it's a little touchy but even at playgrounds if a kids parent isn't paying attention to their kids and they do something that could hurt my or someone else's kid, I will try to get parents attention by telling the kid no in an appropriate manner.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• If you're not comfortable discipling the child, why don't you usher the mom out fairly quickly after she arrives?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Kids are always different for their parents . I would just be the same as you are during the day or ask her what she does for disipline at home so you do not offend her .
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 9:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• if ur babysitting and her mom comes and doesnt do anything then u should. thats still ur house and she needs to be respectful no matter if her mom is there or not. she can act like a wild child at home but the same rules should apply when shes at ur home no matter if mom is there or not.
    ARMYWiFEnSAHM

Answer by ARMYWiFEnSAHM at 11:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2008