Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How bad is it to have a baby around wood heaters?

We can't afford anything else so we use a wood heater. I have heard a wood heater throws off Carbon Monoxide. From my own experience it has made me feel sick with a stuffy nose, Soar throat at times and my skin and sinuses stayed dried out. Is this something that could be too harmful to a baby? If so is there any other heating that is cheaper than usual?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • It sounds like you need your wood stove serviced, and it is something you can do yourself. You need to replace the heat brick every year or when ever it starts crumbling, you need to replace the rope stuff that seals the gaps between the door and the stove, and you need your chimney cleaned and inspected to make sure there aren't any holes burned through it because that will cause it to get blocked off and the smoke will back up into your house.
    The other thing you need to watch for is what type of wood your burning in it. Some woods smolder more then burn, and they will also smoke your house out if given the chance. You need to talk to your wood guy or other people in your area who burn wood to find out what works best.
    You should also have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector in your house, preferably more than one.

    Answer by Lornamay at 2:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

  • The only risk a wood stove should pose to anyone is the chance of getting burned so you'll need to watch your baby carefully to make sure she doesn't get to close. The other thing you should do is run a humidifier in you house because wood stoves really dry out the air.
    If you service your stove and still have problems, it's more then likely that you just need to add humidity to your air. I grew up with a wood stove and so are my children. I hope this helped :)

    Answer by Lornamay at 2:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

  • I know this is a little different, but my parents have a wood burning fireplace, and I asked my pedi about it, and they said that it is fine for the baby to be around.

    Answer by toriandgrace at 2:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

  • I agree with Lornamay. Get some carbon monoxide detectors just in case. The reason your sinuses are acting up and your skin gets dry is because how dry the air becomes when burning wood, just run a humidifier to put some moisture in the air.

    Answer by LolosMom at 2:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

  • We have a wood stove and to help with sinuses, I will put an old pot filled with water and a few drops of my favorite essential oil, the water will act as a humidifor and with the essential oil in it, will make your whole house smell yummy.

    Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.