I can't sleep...

I can't sleep in quiet. I've gone to sleep with the TV in the background for years. Now my DH wants the TV off. So when I go to bed I lay there for hours. Not able to go to sleep. DH doesn't like music either. So I have to lay in the total darkness and silence for hours until I finally fall asleep, usually around 3am. I have to be up at 6am. I'm exhausted. I've taken to sleeping in the living room were I can fall asleep with the TV on, and I'm out by 11pm. DH is tired of sleeping in the bed alone but it's been a month since we turned off the TV in there and I still can't get to sleep. I've even tried over the counter sleeping pills and all that does is make me so groggy the next day I can barely function. I think I'm going to buy DH a blindfold and some ear plugs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Why not talk to DH about leaving the TV on for a set time. Most TVs now have a sleep timer on them. Me and my dh are the same way. He can't sleep with the TV on and I have trouble falling asleep without it. So, I set the sleep timer for about an hour after we lay down and if I'm not asleep, it stays off. Or maybe the TV on but muted. Maybe, there's a compromise out there that will work for both of you.
    clctalking

Answer by clctalking at 12:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Have you tried an MP3 player or something like that, just leave one ear piece out so you can still hear everything.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree, use headphones and listen to music.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 12:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wireless headphones and a mp3 works great! you have your noise lol and he has his peace good luck
    mommyibe

Answer by mommyibe at 12:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Try a desktop fan on low/medium . It worked for us, perfect "white noise" and everyone is happy! good luck!
    luvmykidz037

Answer by luvmykidz037 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• a fan is the answer
    shedevil59

Answer by shedevil59 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Thanks for the ideas. I don't have an MP3 or CD player so that's out. I am always freezing anyway, so adding a fan would probably create even more problems (I can't sleep with something blowing around). But I like the TV sleep idea. I'll give that a try. Thank you all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010